When pet parents think about toxic substances for their dogs, they usually think about onions, chocolate, antifreeze and etc. However, it’s important to understand that many houseplants and backyard plants can pose a danger to your four-legged friend. Pug proofing your home is vital and knowing which vibrant plants are poisonous for your pooch.
19 Plants Poisonous To Pugs
Both dogs and puppies are known to chew on things they are NOT supposed to. As a pet parent, it can be a scary situation when you find your dog eating your favorite houseplant. It’s even more dangerous if you don’t know what’s considered toxic or not.
Various indoor and outdoor plants are known to be toxic to pets. Some may cause mild discomfort while others can cause serious issues.
According to the ASPCA Poison Control Center, “the consumption of any type of plant material may cause gastrointestinal and vomiting issues for both cats and dogs.”
Here are 19 of the most common that most people keep in their yard, garden or home that may make dogs sick or even cause death.
#1 Angel Wings
Angel wings are beautiful silky plants that are perfect for both indoors and outdoors. These plants contain leaves and stems that are considered mildly toxic to pets.
Azeal’s are beautiful plants that come in vibrant colors that can make your backyard or garden look beautiful. This plant is commonly used as an ornamental flowering shrub in landscaping.
However, they contain an extremely toxic compound called “grayanotoxin” that is poisonous to cats, dogs, sheep, goats, and horses.
There are over 250 different species of azaleas and should be avoided if you have a pet.
If consumed it can cause serious digestive issues, leg paralysis, loss of appetite, and even coma or death.
#3 Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera has so many wonderful benefits for humans because of it’s skin-smoothing properties.
While the gel substance isn’t toxic to pets if ingested, other parts of the plant can cause issues with your dog’s digestive system.
Symptoms will vary depending on how much or what part of the plant your dog eats.
The toxicity level is considered moderate and can cause vomiting, depression, lethargy, anorexia, and changes in urine color.
#4 Bleeding Hearts
Bleeding Heart plants are aesthetically pleasing, but they are toxic to both animals and people.
These plants contain soquinoline alkaloids that are known to affect dogs, cattle, and sheep.
The symptoms from consuming parts of the plant will vary from mild, moderate or severe, depending on how much and what part of the plant was eaten.
Your pooch may experience vomiting, seizures, depression, diarrhea or respiratory issues.
#5 Crassula Ovata aka Jade
Jades or succulents are extremely popular because they are easy to care for, given the reason they are also known as the “rubber plant.” However, these plants contain toxic substances that can be dangerous for dogs.
If consumed, it can lead to issues such as vomiting, aggression, weakness, abdominal pain, lethargy, and other gastric distress issues.
#6 Narcissus or Daffodils
These are most commonly found in the spring and contain poisonous alkaloids that can be toxic to pets.
The bulbs are considered the most dangerous part of the plant. If consumed the alkaloids can cause excessive salivation, vomiting, tremors, diarrhea, convulsions and heart problems.
The Elderberry is a deciduous shrub that contains harmful toxins such as; alkaloid and cyanogenic glycosides.
All parts of the plant are considered toxic for dogs and if consumed they may experience a range of symptoms from; diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, to organ failure or death.
The iris is a popular plant, because of the vibrant colors that can brighten up any backyard. All parts of this plant are extremely toxic for dogs, the stem is the most potent.
If ingested this plant can cause diarrhea, lethargy, vomiting, and drooling.
#9 Lily of the Valley
Lily of the Valley plants is extremely poisonous to dogs and cats. If consumed symptoms can vary from diarrhea, vomiting, seizures, severe cardiac arrhythmias or worse.
Lantana also known as Red Sage, Shrub Verbena and Yellow Sage are beautiful plants. However, this plant contains toxic principles known as Pentacyclic triterpenoids, which is very toxic to pets.
If any part of the plant is consumed your dog may experience diarrhea, vomiting, labored breathing, liver failure or more.
This is a common landscaping plant, especially, on the west coast. It is a bushy shrub is known to grow as high as 12 feet and comes in a variety of colors from red, pink, yellow, and white.
All parts of this plant are poisonous to dogs. If consumed watch for signs and symptoms such as; drooling, diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach pain.
The Philodendron is a popular houseplant with heart-shaped leaves. It is also known as Silk Pathos or Satin and is toxic to both cats and dogs.
If consumed it can cause irritation of the tongue and mouth, vomiting, difficulties swallowing, and increased salivation.
#13 Asparagus Fern
This plant is also known as Lace Fern, Plumosa Fern, Emerald Feather, and Spregeri Fern. It is a popular hanging plant or used as ground cover. While asparagus is safe for dogs, they should never be allowed to eat the plant.
According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, both the leaves and berries are toxic to both cats and dogs.
Symptoms will vary depending on whether your pet eats or rubs up against the plant. However, symptoms will vary from skin irritations, blisters, vomiting, diarrhea, and gastrointestinal upset.
#14 Caladium or Elephant Ear
The Elephant Ear plant is a common house plant that has giant pointed ears that resemble elephant ears. They make your home look nice, but any part of the plant can be toxic to your dog.
Symptoms will vary from ingestion to skin contact. If consumed, dogs can experience diarrhea, nausea, mouth ulcers, vomiting and etc.
Topical symptoms will be in the form of eye irritations, burning skin pain, skin inflammation.
Hyacinths are beautiful bright-colored fragrant flowers, that make them perfect for gardens or container spring flowers. However, pet parents should know that these plants are poisonous to pets.
The bulb is the most poisonous part of the plant as it contains a higher amount of oxalic acids and allergenic lactones.
If consumed your dog may experience nausea, excessive vomiting, diarrhea, mouth pawing, anorexia, breathing difficulties, and colic.
People love planting these in the springtime because they look spectacular. The plant has large green leaves and fragrant blooms.
These plants are extremely toxic to dogs and ingesting any part of the plant can cause diarrhea, colic, loss of appetite, paralysis or worse.
#17 Sago Palm
The Sago Palm is an ornamental plant that is popular in warmer climates. It looks like a tiny palm tree that is planted indoors or outdoors.
These plants are extremely toxic to pets and the “seeds or nuts” are the most potent.
Symptoms that can plague your pooch are; liver failure, vomiting, diarrhea, and even death.
People love planting tulips in the springtime because they can grow both indoors and outdoors.
Dog parents should be wary of these brightly-colored flowers as they contain toxins that are harmful to your dog. If your dog chews the lance-shaped leaves, it can result in an upset stomach.
The real danger lies in your dog digging up the newly planted bulbs, which contain the most toxins.
Tulip poisoning in dogs will vary depending on what parts are eaten. Common signs to watch for are; nausea, vomiting, difficulty breathing, diarrhea, and increased heart rate.
The Foxglove is a beautiful plant with blossoms that resemble trumpets. It contains chemicals called cardiac glycosides, which are deadly to pets and people.
The symptoms your dog will experience will vary depending on which part of the plant is consumed. Typical signs of Foxglove poisoning will consist of vomiting, drooling, and nausea.
Extreme poisoning cases will include dilated pupils, fast heartbeat, and cardiac arrest.
What You Should Do?
As mentioned above, these are the most common plants. There At the time of this writing, there are over 320,00 species of plants in the United States.
As a pet parent, you should do your due diligence before decorating your home, garden, or yard with any type of plant.
If you suspect that your Pug has eaten any part of these plants, you rush your dog to the veterinarian or emergency clinic as soon as possible.
Time is of the essence to prevent long term damage or even death.
If you adopt or rescue a Pug and already have plants in your home and yard. You should invest in dog-proof barriers to keep your pet from eating any type of plant or flower.
The best way to prevent accidental digestion is to avoid planting any plants that are known to be toxic to pets.
While life-threatening reactions are rare, the best thing you can do is choose non-toxic houseplants that are safe for dogs.
Final Word On Toxic Plants For Pugs
Everyone loves beautiful plants because it can make your home come alive. However, it’s important to know which plants are not safe for Pugs.
If you love having plants in your home, garden or yard, you may want to consider planting the ones that are non-toxic to dogs.
References And Further Reading
House Plants Expert – Poisonous House Plants – Cats And Dogs