It’s normal to come home after a long day’s work and grab a cold beer or glass of wine to help you relax. This doesn’t mean you can give your Pug a sip, in fact, doing so can be extremely dangerous to your dog’s health.
Every responsible pet owner should know what types of foods and drinks are safe for their pets.
Can Pugs Drink Beer?
No, Pugs can not drink beer or any other type of alcohol for that matter. The two main reasons you can’t share a brewsky with your furbaby are the toxic ingredients in the beer and your pup’s small body won’t be able to handle it.
I know this can be hard to swallow, especially, if you’re the type of pet parent who loves sharing everything with your Pug.
You’re probably thinking, I’ve seen dogs on YouTube drink small amounts of beer and nothing happened.
Some pet owners even get a kick out of letting their dog drink beer because they think it’s funny when their dog stumbles around with a buzz.
It’s important to know that a canine’s kidneys can’t process or filter alcoholic beverages of any kind like a human’s kidney.
Well, let’s take a look at why you need to avoid giving your dog beer, as well as what can happen if your pooch has gotten into the beer.
Is Beer Safe For Pugs?
No amount of beer is safe for dogs or cats, whether it’s a Lager, Ale, Stout, light or dark.
Beer is made from 4 primary ingredients:
Most people don’t realize that hops can be quite dangerous to dogs and cats.
What Are Hops?
As mentioned above, it is one of the key ingredients in beer. Hops are the flowers of a plant called Humulus Lupulus that belong to the Cannabinaceae family, which also includes hemp and marijuana and are extremely toxic to dogs.
This is a vital ingredient in beer, as it helps keep it fresh longer, and helps beer maintain its head of foam – it’s also responsible for the “hoppy” aroma, flavor, and bitterness.
The compounds found in hops can cause malignant hyperthermia, which results in a rapid rise of body temperature in both dogs and humans. A dog’s body temperature is normally below 102°F (40°C) and can rapidly rise to dangerous levels of 108°F (42°C) or higher which can cause permanent to the brain, organs, or even fatality.
Distilled vs Undistilled Alcohol
There are two types of alcoholic beverages, distilled and undistilled. Undistilled alcohol is put through a fermentation process, which bacteria or yeast convert chemically convert sugar into ethanol. Grapes play a huge role in the fermentation process, and are known to be toxic to dogs.
Distilled is the process of turning fermented substances into one that contains a higher concentration of alcohol such as whiskey.
In general distilled alcohol will have a higher concentration of alcohol, but both are bad for your dog’s health.
The Dangers Of Beer For Pugs
If you and I drink too much beer, then it becomes dangerous to drive. If you drink too much, then you can get alcohol poisoning.
What Are The Signs Of Alcohol Poisoning?
It’s never a good idea to share your alcoholic beverages with your dog because it can cause the following.
- Heart Failure
- Respiratory Difficulty
- Increased Body Temperature
If you believe your pooch has come into contact with beer or any other type of alcohol, you need to take them to your veterinarian immediately.
The sooner your dog gets treatment, the better chance they will have to overcome alcohol poisoning.
What If My Pug Accidentally Drinks Beer?
Some Pugs are curious by nature and will want to sniff out and eat or drink anything they can. If your pooch accidentally gets access to your beer and drinks some of it, it’s not the end of the world.
The first thing you want to do is take them to the veterinarian immediately. They will be able to monitor your dog’s temperature and ensure it does not become dangerously high.
If your pooch just took a sip before you caught them, then you may want to monitor them closely to ensure they don’t show any symptoms. Most dogs will be fine if they just had a quick taste of your beer, but it doesn’t mean you should give them any at all.
Some dog owners also get a kick out of watching their dog stumble around intoxicated, but getting your dog drunk is not a laughing matter.
Why Do Dogs Like The Taste of Beer?
Like humans, dogs have a sweet tooth. Alcoholic beverages have a sweet and bitter taste that many dogs find tasty.
This doesn’t necessarily mean your dog is an alcoholic, it just means that you need to hide your drink from them or teach them not to touch it.
Can My Pug Drink Guinness Beer?
There are some “holistic” people who believe that giving a dog Guinness beer can kill heartworms.
Unfortunately, that is NOT true. Guinness beer is a traditional Irish stout beer that is made from roasted barley, water, yeast, and hops.
There is no truth that beer can do anything good for your pooch!
Can Pugs Drink Beer Water?
Some people think it’s okay to put beer in their dog’s water bowl to get them to drink more. No matter how much you dilute the beer, it is still dangerous for your dog.
If your Pug is not drinking enough water, make sure that it is fresh and clean. You can also mix some low-sodium broth or other additives to get your Pug to drink more water.
Can Pugs Drink Craft Beer?
No, the vast majority of craft beer have higher alcohol content than regular beer. In fact, Sour Monkey (my favorite) has an ABV (alcohol by volume) of 9.5% which is significantly higher than some regular beers.
Other craft beers have an even higher alcoholic content.
Alternatives To Beer For Pugs
As long as your Pug has access to fresh, clean water, they don’t need anything else. This really is the best way to keep them hydrated and healthy.
If your Pug isn’t drinking enough water, it doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t like the taste. It could also be that they have an injury inside their mouth from chewing something, or they could have a tooth problem.
Dogs are like children and as a pet parent, there are some things you can do to get your Pug to drink more water.
Final Word On Giving Pugs Beer
Whether you enjoy a cold one on a hot summer day or you’re into homebrewing your own craft beer. You want to ensure you keep all alcohol away from your pooch.
Pugs are curious little dogs and their nose will quickly sniff out the smell and will want to taste it before you have a chance to tell them no.
References And Further Reading
ASPCA – Dogs + Beer: Getting to the Bottom of Hops Toxicity