Not all dog food is created equally and the Pug diet plan will vary from dog to dog, especially if your Pug has developed food allergies. In this article, we’re going to look at the best dog food for Pugs with skin allergies.
What Is The Best Food For Pugs With Skin Allergies?
While it is rare, if your Pug does have food allergies, you’ll want to feed a dog food that has limited ingredients or is specifically says that it is hypoallergenic dog food.
Related: What Should I Feed My Pug?
If you’re unsure of the best food for Pugs with skin allergies, you should consult your veterinarian. They will be able to recommend the right dog food brand that is right for your pooch.
Let’s take a closer look at the two types of foods that are designed for dogs with skin allergies.
*This page contains affiliate links to products I recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you.
If your Pug has food allergies, then we highly recommend the Wellness dry kibble dog food.
- Limited Ingredient Diet: Formulated To Be Easily Digestible With Fewer Ingredients For Dogs With Food Sensitivities, Allergies Or Ingredient Intolerances
- Single Protein: Starts With A Single Source Protein From Real, High Quality Turkey And Mixes In Easily Digestible Carbohydrates For Complete, Balanced Nutrition
Limited Ingredient Diets
According to PetMD, there is no real definition of limited ingredient dog food. It just means that a limited ingredient dog food may only have one protein instead of multiple sources. (source)
For instance; dog food may only have fish, but no chicken, lamb, or duck. Additionally, it may only have one source of carbohydrate or one source of fat.
What To Look For In Limited Ingredient Dog Foods?
According to Enright, the most important thing to look for on the dog food brands designed specifically for dogs with allergens are the words “complete and balanced.”
The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) requires foods with those labels to have the proper mix of carbs, protein, fats, and 23 essential vitamins and minerals that are required for your dog’s life stage health.
Hypoallergenic Dog Food
These dog foods are designed for dogs that can’t eat regular kibble and is made with no artificial flavors, preservatives, or colors. It is free from harmful allergens that can affect your Pug’s coat, skin, and tummy.
What To Look For In Hypoallergenic Dog Food?
Unfortunately, there are no specific ingredients that make dog food hypoallergenic. Hypoallergenic food is high in natural sources of protein such as; duck, venison, which is still palatable for your pet!
What Is My Pug Allergic To?
Every dog is different and what triggers allergies in one dog may not affect another dog. That’s why I wanted to share some of the most common ingredients that are known to trigger allergies in dogs.
These are the most common allergens in food:
- Dairy Products
Less Common Allergens Are:
This can make it challenging to know which foods are right for your dog.
Should You Prepare Your Own Home Cooked Dog Food?
Many people have started preparing food for their pets because they know what’s in the food. It’s one of the best ways to ensure your dog’s diet does not consist of anything they are not allergic to.
The downside is that it can be extremely time consuming and expensive to cook for your dog on a daily basis.
That’s why we recommend this fresh cooked dog food for Pugs that are made from human-grade ingredients and is customized especially for your four-legged friend.
It’s just like cooking your own dog food, but without having to do all the work yourself.
How Do I Know If My Pug Has Food Allergies Or A Food Intolerance?
Unfortunately, Pugs are prone to allergies, so this can make it challenging to know if your dog is allergic to food or dealing with contact allergies. food allergies or food intolerances.
There is a difference between allergies and food intolerances.
Food allergies have to do with your dog’s immune system, where a food intolerance is a digestive problem.
The only way to know for sure what’s causing your Pugs sensitivities is to contact your veterinarian so they can perform a dog allergy test. This will consist of a thorough exam as well as examining your Pug for skin parasites such as mites and fleas.
If your Pug is dealing with allergies, you’ll notice some of these symptoms:
- Skin irritation/fur loss
- Excessive Licking
- Frequent wheezing or sneezing
- Periodic chewing on parts of their body
- Compulsive scratching
While allergies are not life-threatening, it can make it extremely uncomfortable for your pooch, especially, if not resolved.
The great news is that your dogs with skin conditions can benefit just by eating the right food!
5 Of The Best Limited Ingredient Dog Food For Allergies
#1 Hill’s Prescription Diet Skin/Food Sensitivities
Hills Prescription Diet d/d canine provides a complete and balanced food that is formulated to support your dog’s skin and food sensitivities.
This food was developed by nutritionists and veterinarians specifically for dogs that deal with digestive discomfort and skin allergies due to food sensitivity.
- Limited Ingredients: It consists of a single animal protein.
- Omega-3 and Omega – 6 Fatty Acids: Proven to help increase the health of your dog’s skin, coat, and reduce skin allergies. Additionally, antioxidants help maintain an overall healthy immune system.
- Ingredients: Made from gluten-free ingredients.
- It helps improve digestion and stool quality.
- Smelly Gas: Some pet owners noticed that their dog’s gas smells worse after eating this food. The good thing is that many people noticed their dog’s skin allergies did improve over time.
Follow the recommended manufacturer guidelines to maintain optimal weight. If your Pug starts gaining or losing weight, adjust the serving amounts.
#2 Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Dog Food
The Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient dog food is designed specifically for dogs with food sensitivities. You’ll find natural ingredients that don’t contain any extra additives or fillers.
Wellness Simple helps you manage the types of ingredients your dog eats on a daily basis.
- Healthy Digestion: They use carbohydrates like potatoes along with prebiotic fiber and probiotics to improve your dog’s digestion.
- Protein: Only one source of animal protein is used to prevent any allergens. High-quality turkey as the first ingredient.
- Healthy Coat: It consists of omega fatty acids, flaxseed and canola oil to keep your Pug’s skin and coat healthy.
- Limited Ingredients: But it still provides your dog with the maximum nutrition with a complete blend of what your dog needs for wellbeing.
- All Natural Ingredients: It only contains premium all-natural ingredients and does not contain any artificial additives, fillers, wheat or gluten.
- Family-Owned Company: That is on a mission to provide the highest quality standard of dog food and support pets in need.
- May Cause Diarrhea: Make sure that you transition your dog to this food slowly, otherwise it can lead to diarrhea or upset tummy.
#3 Zignature Limited Ingredient Grain Free Wet Dog Food
The Zignature Turkey Formula dog food consists of natural wholesome nutrition your pup will enjoy. It is made with the real, farm-raised turkey that was raised in the American Midwest and is great for small and medium-sized dogs.
Meat first, provides your four-legged friend with the animal protein they need to thrive. This is a hypoallergenic, grain-free, and low carbohydrate food that is great for dogs with sensitivities.
- Free From: dairy, soy, wheat, corn, and chicken which are known to cause canine allergens.
- Limited Ingredients: Rich in Selenium, Phosphorous, Riboflavin, and low in saturated fat.
- Powerful Antioxidants: It contains fruits and vegetables such as; Chickpeas, Carrots, and etc to promote healthy skin, fur, and an overall healthy immune system.
- Ancestor Diet: The recipes mirror how a wild dog or wolf eats in the wild.
- Expensive: People have complained about the pricing, but says that it is worth the price because it works.
#4 Canine Caviar Open Sky Limited Ingredient Grain Free All Life Stages Dog Food
Canine Caviar Holistic Entree Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is made in the United States. It is a unique alkaline-based diet to help balance the pH levels in your canine friend.
Canine Caviar is the first and only Alkaline Based dog kibble that offers your pup a complete and balanced diet, that is perfect for any breed.
- Hypoallergenic: It contains no potatoes, tapioca, wheat, eggs, or glutens.
- Free From: BHA, by-products, GMO, ethoxyquin, BHT, or chemical preservatives.
- Highest Metabolized Calories: Your dog will feel more energized with less food.
- Flavors: It comes in an assortment of flavors from Venison & Split Pea, Herring & Split Pea, Duck & Chickpea, Chicken for Puppies, Lamb & Pearl Millet, Chicken & Pearl Millet.
- Natural Dog Food: Perfect for dogs with sensitive tummies, and allergies.
- Expensive: This alkaline diet dry dog food can be expensive, some people have said they can save money by buying on Chewy.
#5 Merrick Limited Ingredient Grain Free Dry Dog Food
Merrick Limited Ingredient Dry Dog food is specially formulated to help dogs with allergies and sensitivities. This kibble is made with the fewest, and most essential ingredients to provide your pet with a complete, balanced nutrition dogs need. Read our in-depth Merrick Dog Food for Pugs Review.
- Limited Ingredients: It consists of only 8 key ingredients which are; Deboned Salmon, Salmon Meal, Chickpeas, Peas, Lentils, Sunflower Oil, Flaxseed and Natural Flavor.
- First Ingredient: It contains real salmon that is always sourced from North and South America.
- Antioxidants: The Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids will help keep your Pug’s coat and skin healthy.
- Healthy Hips and Joints: It contains Glucosamine and Chondroitin to aid in healthy joints.
- Easy Digestion: Simple proteins and carbohydrates aid in a healthy digestive system.
- Diarrhea: Some people have said that this food caused their dog to have diarrhea, so make sure you transition them to it slowly.
Final Word On Dog Food For Pugs With Allergies
If your Pug does have skin allergies, you should get them checked by your vet to help you understand if they are dealing with allergies or food intolerance.
Having a better understanding of what your Pug is dealing with will help ensure you choose the right dog food for them!
References And Further Reading
Drake Center – Does Your Dog Have Allergies? Dog Allergy Testing
Pub Med – Treatment of Canine Atopic Dermatitis: 2010 Clinical Practice Guidelines From The International Task Force On Canine Atopic Dermatitis
Pet Coach – Food Allergies And Food Intolerance