Can Pugs Eat Grapes? And A Look At The Toxicity


can pugs eat grapes

There are certain foods that can cause a toxic reaction in your dog, and this includes both grapes and raisins. We’ve often wondered “can Pugs eat grapes” and uncovered everything you need to know to keep your pet safe.

Can Pugs Eat Grapes?

No, dogs should NEVER be fed grapes or raisins as they can cause kidney failure. According to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, out of 180,639 cases, 3,722 calls involved grapes and raisin concerns.

Most of us love eating green, black, purple, and red grapes on a daily basis because of their sweet juicy goodness.

In fact, they are filled with nutrients and antioxidants that can help us stay healthy.

Are There Any Benefits To Feeding Grapes To Pugs?

Unfortunately, they are not good for your pooch and should NEVER be used as a tasty treat or reward.

Grapes just like onions and several other human foods are extremely toxic to your pet. In fact, any fruit that is part of the Vitis Vinifera (Vitaceae) family should have a toxicity poison label when it comes to your canine friend.

Unfortunately, it is unclear as to what causes the toxicity in dogs, you should avoid feeding them any amounts as it can be fatal.

Fun Grape Facts

can dogs eat grapes
Grapes are extremely healthy for humans but toxic to pets.

One cup of grapes contains only 100 calories and contains the recommended values of both Vitamins C and K. Most people have no clue that they are botanically classified as berries.

Raisins are dried sweet grapes that happens naturally when the grapes are left in the sunlight.

There are over 60 species and around 8000 varieties that come in many different colors from white, green, purple, pink, yellow, red, black, and yellow.

American and European are the two types of grapes. They can be found in both seedless and seeded varieties.

Grapevines can reach a length of 15 feet long. Grapes contain about 80% of water, which makes them great for a hot summer day and is low in calories.

The grape seeds are edible and contain beneficial oxidants.

It takes about 2.5 pounds of grapes to produce one bottle of wine! Over 7 trillion gallons of wine are produced every year.

Nutritional Facts

One cup (151 grams) of green or red grapes contains:

  • Manganese: 5% RDI (Reference Daily Intake)
  • Calories: 104
  • Copper: 10% RDI
  • Protein: 1.1 grams
  • Riboflavin: 6% RDI
  • Potassium: 8% RDI
  • Fat: 0.2 grams
  • Vitamin K: 28% RDI
  • Vitamin B6: 6% RDI
  • Thiamine: 7% RDI
  • Fiber: 1.4 grams
  • Vitamin C: 27% RDI
  • Carbs: 27.3 grams

Grapes contain more than a quarter of the RDI of Vitamin K, which is a fat-soluble vitamin that is responsible for healthy bones and blood clotting abilities.

They contain many benefits for both you and me but are toxic to your pet.

What Is Grape Toxicity

Basically, it is an anuric renal failure in dogs. When a grape or raisin in consumed, it can cause damage to canine kidney cells in vitro.

Unfortunately, no one knows how much grapes or raisins your dog will have to consume to risk being affected.

That’s why it’s recommended that you never feed this fruit to your pooch. However, I know that sometimes a dog may just grab some fruit off your table or counter and eat it before you can take it out of their mouth.

If your Pug eats grapes, you need to take them to the veterinarian or emerency clinic right away!

Symptoms of Grape Toxicity

If your pooch is feeling sick and you think they may have swallowed some grapes, you need to contact your veterinarian. These are some of the signs and symptoms that may occur after toxic ingestion:

  • Kidney Failure (can be fatal)
  • Loss of appetite
  • Diarrhea or vomiting
  • Abdominal pain
  • Unusual stillness, weakness, and lethargy
  • Dehydration (signs of dehydration are: elasticity in the skin, panting, reduced energy levels, dry sticky gums, dry nose, sunken dry-looking eyes, trouble breathing)
  • Lethargy or weakness

Signs of grape toxicity can develop as quickly as 24 hours after eating grapes or raisins.

Are Grapes Healthy or Toxic? A Look At The Nutrients In A Grape

Unfortunately, veterinarians have been unable to identify why both raisins and grapes cause toxicity poisoning in canines.

This is sad, especially, since raisins contain vitamins and nutrients that are beneficial for humans.

Let’s look at some of the nutrients found inside a grape.

Vitamin K: This is a vital nutrient that is responsible for blood clots and healthy bones.

Antioxidants: Can be found in the grape seeds and antioxidants are great for helping repair cell damages.

Resveratrol: found in grapes, wine, grape juice and can help reduce inflammation in the body and may help protect against diabetes, cancer, and heart disease.

Fiber: Grapes contain both water and fiber, which can help people stay hydrated and keep regular bowel movements.

Anti-Inflammatories: Grapes contain anthocyanins which can be helpful in reducing inflammation.

What Parts of A Grape Are Toxic To Your Pug?

Some people will think that if they don’t feed their Pug a whole grape or just a part of the pulp, they will be fine. However, that’s not the case.

A grape consists of 3 main parts which consist of the pulp, seeds, and the skin. NO part should ever be given to your pooch.

anatomy of a grape
Never feed your dog any part of a grape.

Can A Single Grape Kill A Dog?

Believe it or not, just one or two grapes can lead to serious illness or even death in some dogs.

A clinical grape poisoning study involving a 1.6-year-old Shih Tzu and a 5-year-old Yorkshire Terrier. Both dogs consumed a grape and were taken to the veterinarian.

The Shih Tzu died 5 days after the grape ingestion, while the Yorkshire Terrier died 3 days after consuming a grape.

Both dogs suffered from severe necrosis, acute tubular necrosis. The dogs’ creatine, blood urea nitrogen, and aminotransferase were increased significantly.

Renal failure is also responsible for a lack of urine production, which can lead to death.

Grape toxicity can affect dogs of any age, gender or breed. Unfortunately, it is still unknown why some dogs are affected more than other breeds.

What To Do If Your Dog Eats A Grape Or Raisin?

Act quickly, as your Pug’s life depends on it! If treated quickly, your dog has a chance of surviving like Leah the pint-size dog.

Leah had eaten about 10 grapes without her owning realizing until it was too late. She took the grapes away from the Pekingese/Pomeranian mix, but the damage was already done.

Thankfully, the ASPCA Animal Hospital in Manhattan was able to diagnose Leah with acute renal failure and started administering IV fluids and gastro protectants.

This story turned out great because Leah survived the grape toxicity episode. According to ASPCA, several dogs do not survive the toxicity episode, especially, without immediate treatment.

Alternatives To Grapes For Pugs

I realize that Pugs love eating human food. Some fruits and veggies can be great for your pooch. If your four-legged friend stares at you whenever they see you eating, you may want to consider sharing the following fruits with them:

Final Word On Feeding Pugs Grapes

As you can see, grapes can be extremely toxic and dangerous for your pooch. There are plenty of other human foods that are safer for your pooch.

Before feeding your pooch any fruits and vegetables, always make sure they are safe to eat. Most will be tasty for your pooch, but you may not realize they can cause serious harm.

If you’re unsure to feed them, always consult with your veterinarian before feeding them.

References and Further Reading

PetMD – Grape And Raisin Poisoning In Dogs

Veterinary Record – Grape Toxicity In Dogs

NCBI – Household Food Items Toxic To Dogs and Cats

Merck Manual – Sharon M. Gwaltney-Brant, DVM, Ph.D., DABVT, DABT, University of Illinois – Raisins and Grapes

AKC – Erika Mansourian – Are Grapes Bad for Dogs?

 

 

Susan

Mindy my black Pug blessed our lives for 16 years. Now I am sharing my personal experience of living with a Pug. They can be great companions and I want to help you find out everything you need to know.

Recent Content

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!