It’s no secret that Pugs love eating, but should you feed them dry dog food or canned dog food? I’ve put together a list of some of the best wet dog food for Pugs. Some of these foods are specifically formulated for their life stages, whether that’s a puppy or senior dog.
What’s The Best Wet Dog Food For Pugs?
The best canned foods are the ones are rich in moisture and fortified with all the nutrients your Pug needs.
Canned dog food can be a great choice for small puppies, elderly Pugs, Pugs that overcoming a surgery or illness, dogs with bad teeth or gums, or picky Pugs that don’t like to eat anything.
However, not all wet dog food is the same, that’s why I wanted to share some tips on how to find the right one for your pooch.
*This page contains affiliate links to products I recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you.
Wet Dog Food vs Dry Dog Food
There has been a huge debate about whether or not dry food is better than wet food. The truth is that you need to understand the differences between both types of food, to determine which is the right one for your pooch.
Wet Dog Food
As the name states, this food is composed of 80% moisture and 20% food content that contains their nutrients. Depending on the brand of food, most wet foods contain between 8 – 11 percent of protein.
Wet food is a lot more expensive than feeding your dog dry kibble because it takes a lot more to make the food.
Unlike dry food, wet food does not have a long shelf life and tends to spoil faster.
Not all Pugs require a wet food diet and can do well eating dry food. However, it can be good for dogs that do not drink enough water, are sick, too young for dry food, pregnant females, nursing females, or older Pugs.
Dry Dog Food
Most dry kibble contains more nutrients than dry food, simply because it does only contains 10% moisture. This means that your dog gets 90% of nutrients from the dry matter ingredients.
Typically most dry dog foods contain around 30% protein and 15% fat.
Unlike wet food, dry dog food is more economical for any budget. If stored in an air-tight container it has a longer shelf life and won’t spoil as quickly.
The rough texture of the kibbles has also been known to clean your pooches teeth like a toothbrush to help maintain proper dental and oral care.
Ingredients To Look For In Canned Dog Food
Whenever you feed your dog anything new, you’ll want to make sure you read the ingredients label.
Not all commercial dog food is the same and is NOT perfect for every dog. It’s important to know if your Pug is dealing with stomach issues, skin allergies need weight management or etc.
Always consult with your veterinarian before making any changes to your Pug’s diet.
Always look for canned food that contains the most whole food ingredients.
The main ingredient in all good dog food, whether wet or dry should be protein. Pugs thrive on foods with protein from beef, chicken, and lamb.
Potatoes and sweet potatoes are commonly used in canned dog foods because they help maintain the thickness. It’s okay if the wet food has potatoes or sweet potatoes, as long as it’s NOT the primary ingredients.
Opt for a wet dog food that contains non-starchy veggies like alfalfa, apples, and carrots.
Most dog food has some type of grain in their ingredients, even if your pooch doesn’t necessarily need it. Opt for foods that offer wild rice or brown rice and stay away from foods that are wheat gluten.
Ingredients To Avoid
Wet dog food can be found anywhere online and in your favorite pet stores. The important thing to remember is that not all foods are created equally. Avoid going for the cheapest foods and always read the labels.
Here are some ingredients you want to avoid regardless of what kind of deal you can get.
Most wet dog foods will not require preservatives, some of the lower quality cheaper foods tend to add food color. Avoid the canned foods that clearly state they add preservatives or coloring.
Cheaper foods tend to claim that they offer protein in the way of “meat-by-products, animal-sourced by-products, modified meat, and etc. This is known as meat processing scrap and includes waste such as undeveloped eggs, spleen, livers, feet, and etc which have no nutritional value for your Pug.
Your dog doesn’t need any sweeteners or corn syrup added to their food. Avoid cheaper low-quality foods that add corn syrup to enhance the flavor.
Petfood binders help give the food solidarity and strength, so it will maintain it’s firmness and doesn’t fall apart. Avoid foods that use corn gluten or wheat gluten as binders.
Check For AAFCO Pet Food Label
As a pet owner, you know how important it is to read the ingredients label. However, you also want to check to ensure that the food has a “Complete and Balanced” label.
Dog foods that meet these criteria will usually have passed the AAFCO feeding trial.
4 Of The Best Wet Dog Food Brands
Below you’ll find some of the best wet foods that fit any budget. All the foods have great online reviews from pet owners.
Be sure to do your due diligence and visit the page to find out the exact ingredients and get the best deals.
#1 Royal Canin Veterinarian Diet
The Gastrointestinal Low Fat Royal Canin canned food is formulated for dogs that have difficulty digesting fat.
This low-fat content food is enriched with a blend of soluble and insoluble fibers to support healthy digestion for optimal stool quality.
- Low Fat: Helps improve your dog’s digestive system.
- Veterinary Approved: Recommended for dogs with GI Conditions such as; vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea, or acute and chronic pancreatitis.
- Combination Blend: Of minerals and antioxidants to help balance your dog’s immune health system.
- GI Tract: Omega-3 Fatty Acids, DHA and EPA to improve your dog’s overall health.
- Allergies: Perfect for Pugs with allergies or sensitive tummies.
- Flavors: You can choose from Buffalo & Sweet Potato, Chicken & Sweet Potato, Duck & Potato, Sweet Potato and Fish, and Lamb & Brown Rice.
- Expensive: The downside of wet dog food is that it is more expensive than dry food. You can save money on the auto-ship program.
Water sufficient processing, pork-by-products, calcium carbohydrate, fish oil, vegetable oil, corn, rice flour, dried plain beet pulp, sodium silico aluminate, Vitamins [D1-Alpha Tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), niacin supplement, riboflavin supplement, D-calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), trace minerals [ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, calcium iodate, copper sulfate, zine proteinate, sodium selenite] guar gum, gelatin by-products, marigold extract [Tagetes erecta L.]
895 kilocalories per 345 kilocalories. (based on a 13.6 oz can)
#2 Hills Science Adult Dog Food
The Hills Science Adult dog food is made with beef & vegetables your Pug will love.
So make sure you know what type of food your Pug needs.
- Real Meat: made with real meat to provide your adult dog with high-quality protein. Perfect for dogs 1-6 years of age to help build muscle.
- Healthy Recipe: made with delicious vegetables including; peas, carrots, and spinach.
- Ingredients: Made with easy digestible natural ingredients your Pug will love.
- Beautiful Skin and Coat: Omega-6 fatty acids and vitamin E will keep your dog coat looking amazing.
- Heart Healthy: Controlled levels of phosphorus and sodium to keep your dog’s heart and kidney health.
- Damaged Cans: Some people who have ordered on Amazon have complained that they received dented cans.
Water, pork liver, brown rice, rice starch, carrots, wheat flour, turkey liver, egg product, spinach, dried beet pulp, potatoes, pork plasma, potassium chloride, chicken liver flavor, powdered cellulose, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B12 supplement, flaxseed, calcium carbonate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Taurine minerals (calcium iodate, zine oxide, manganese sulfate, ferrous sulfate), dried beet pulp, sodium tripolyphosphate, soybean oil, L-carnitine, iodized salt, beta-carotene, ginger, niacin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, choline chloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, iron oxide color and etc.
Always read the ingredients as I may have missed some of them.
329 kcal per 12.8 ounce can
#3 Natural Balance L.I.D Wet Dog Food
Natural Balance offers some great-tasting wet dog food that is great for all breeds from puppies to adults.
This wet food has a limited number of ingredients, which makes it a great product for Pugs with sensitive stomachs or suffer from food allergies.
- Life Stages: Offers complete balanced nutrition for puppies, adults, and seniors.
- No Additives: Such as artificial flavors, preservatives, or colors that can be harmful to your pooch.
- Grain-Free: Which makes it perfect for dogs with food allergies and any type of sensitivities.
- Vitamins and Minerals: Vitamin A and Vitamin B12 to help keep your dog’s immune system healthy.
- Digestive Health: Sweet potatoes are known to improve canine’s digestive health.
- Smell: Your Pug will love the savory smell and you won’t be grossed out.
- Ingredients: Some people have complained that the food contains too many sweet potatoes and NOT enough venison.
Sweet Potatoes, dehydrated potatoes, venison, venison broth, potatoes protein, potatoes, salmon oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), venison meal, salt, sodium tripolyphosphate, Vitamin D3 supplement, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), guar gum, rosemary extract, minerals (sodium selenite, zinc sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper sulfate, zine proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, calcium iodate, iron proteinate, manganese sulfate), natural flavors, potassium chloride, yucca schidigera extract, choline chloride,
180 kilocalories for a 6-oz can, 376 kilocalories for a 13-ounce can.
#4 Purina ONE SmartBlend Canned Dog Food
The Purina ONE SmartBlend is the more affordable wet dog foods, that your pooch will love. This grain-free food comes in a variety pack that consists of; Real Chicken & Duck, and Real Turkey and Venison.
It comes in a six-pack of 13-ounce cans.
- Antibiotics: Four sources to help maintain a healthy immune system and overall health for your four-legged friend.
- Joints: natural sources of glucosamine to keep your Pug’s joints healthy.
- Ingredients: #1 ingredients are real chicken or turkey.
- Doesn’t Contain: Any harmful preservatives or artificial colors or flavors.
- No Poultry By-Products: Your dog will get their protein from high-quality ingredients.
- Balanced Nutrition: Your pup will get a balanced meal from this nutrient-dense and grain-free recipe.
- Budget-Friendly: One of the more economical wet dog foods on the market.
- AAFCO: Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures.
- Packaging: Some people have complained that they did receive some damaged cans.
Water, Turkey, wheat gluten, liver, chicken, soy flour, meat-by-products, venison, potassium chloride, starch-modified, zinc sulfate, tricalcium phosphate, added color, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, potassium iodide, biotin, ferrous sulfate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, folic acid, Vitamin E supplement, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, choline chloride, sodium selenite, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate.
Real Chicken and Duck Ingredients
Water, wheat gluten, chicken, meat by-products, liver, chicken, soy flour, duck, potassium chloride, corn starch-modified, added color, folic acid, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, sodium selenite, zinc sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, Vitamin E supplement, riboflavin supplement, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, copper sulfate, biotin.
Make sure you read the label to find out the exact ingredients, in case I missed any.
378 kcal per can
Final Word On Canned Dog Food For Pugs
Finding the right dog food for your Pug will vary from dog to dog. I’ve done my best to provide you with some of the best food for Pugs.
We used to feed Mindy dry dog food and as she aged, we mixed it with some wet food. Of course, you can opt to feed your Pug homemade dog food if you have time to prepare it yourself.
I’m sure you’ll be able to find the right Pug food that your pooch will absolutely love!