Regular teeth brushing can not only help you improve your pup’s breath, but it can help improve your dog’s overall health. However, you should NEVER use human toothpaste on your dog, because of the ingredients, xylitol and fluoride are toxic to pets. In this article, we’re going to look at the best toothpaste for Pugs and how to shop for one.
What Is The Best Toothpaste For Pugs?
Opt for an enzymatic toothpaste, which contains an enzyme called “glucose oxidase,” which is the same fungus that produces penicillin. Glucose oxidase becomes an antibacterial fighting agent when it is in the presence of oxygen and glucose.
Enzymatic toothpaste is completely safe for your dog and doesn’t have to be rinsed and can be safely swallowed. Before brushing their teeth, you will need to find a toothbrush for your Pug.
*This page contains affiliate links to products I recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you
What To Look For In A Dog’s Toothpaste
The health of your dog’s teeth is extremely important for their overall health. Proper oral hygiene can prevent tartar and plaque buildup.
However, finding the right toothpaste can be challenging, especially, if you’ve never brushed their teeth before. Here are some things to look for when shopping for canine toothpaste.
As a pet owner, you’ll find all kinds of canine toothpaste products on the market. There are no shortages from gels, chews, and toothpaste.
When shopping for oral hygiene for your pooch, always look for the ones that are enzymatic oral hygiene products.
According to a 2011 study by Banfield Pet hospital, dental diseases affect over 70% of dogs that are older than 3 years of age. (source)
An enzymatic toothpaste can help you prevent dental disease from affecting your pet. It’s also perfect to help you reach those clean to hard reach places.
Canine Use Only
As I mentioned above, you NEVER want to use human toothpaste for your Pug, as it can poison them and kill them. Human toothpaste contains chemicals that are extremely dangerous to dogs.
Those chemicals are NOT dangerous for humans, because we don’t actually swallow them, we rinse, gargle, and spit out the used toothpaste.
Dog’s can’t gargle and spit, they will swallow the foamy residue and this is what causes it to be harmful to them. The chemicals in human toothpaste can irritate their stomach which can cause major health issues.
Dog’s toothpaste products come in several different flavors. Find one that your Pug won’t mind using. If they like the taste, they will be more likely to let you brush their teeth.
Unlike humans, dogs will swallow it, so it’s important to find a flavor they will like. If your dog associates brushing with a yummy treat experience, you’ll have a much easier time cleaning their teeth.
Dog toothpaste can be purchased in several different forms. Find one that is easy to use for your pup. If your dog doesn’t mind being groomed you may be able to use the semi-solid toothpaste without issues.
However, if your dog has never had their teeth cleaned and doesn’t like you touching their gums, you may opt for chews or drops. These don’t require you to brush your dog’s teeth.
With the drops, you just put it on your dog’s gums and let them brush their own teeth when they lick it with their tongue.
Ingredients To Avoid
Make sure you read the ingredients to make sure that the dog toothpaste does not contain any harmful or toxic ingredients such as; Xyilotol, Alcohol, Detergents, Fluoride, or Chlorhexidine.
You should also avoid any oral hygiene products that contain any artificial sweeteners that can be abrasive for your four-legged friend.
3 Vets Best Toothpaste For Dogs
All the following kinds of toothpaste are completely safe for canines and will help keep remove plaque buildup. If your Pug has a sensitive stomach or allergies, you may want to contact your veterinarian to see if they can use them.
#1 Virbac Enzymatic Canine Toothpaste (C.E.T)
The Virbac Enzymatic Dog Toothpaste comes in a vanilla-mint flavor that not only cleans their teeth but helps eliminate your dog’s bad breath.
C.E.T products are highly recommended by veterinary professionals for canine veterinary home dental care.
- Cats and Dogs: Safe to use on both dogs and cats.
- Antibacterial Fighting Agent: Designed for pets who struggle with plaque and tartar buildup.
- Safe To Swallow: Contains NO harmful foaming agents or fluoride.
- Tartar Control: Dual enzyme system helps prevent the buildup of plaque and tartar.
- Flavors: Comes in several different flavors such as poultry, beef, malt, seafood, beef, and vanilla-mint.
- Animal Use Only: Designed for both cats and dogs only.
- Small Tube Size: Many people have complained about the small tube size.
xanthan gum, sodium benzoate, dextrose. sorbitol, purified water, glucose oxidase (aspergillus niger), glycerin, methyl salicylate, dicalcium phosphate anhydrous, vanillin, potassium thiocyanate, lactoperoxidase, hydrated silica, and titanium dioxide.
Instructions for Use
For best results, you’ll want to apply daily for your pooch or talk to your veterinarian.
#2 Petrodex Enzymatic Canine Toothpaste
Sentry Petrodex is a veterinary-approved comes in a 6.2-ounce tube. It is completely safe for dogs and this non-foaming agent does not require rinsing.
- Flavors: Your dog will love the poultry flavor
- Patented Enzyme Formula: Helps prevent tartar formation and control plaque.
- Cleaning: Proven to freshen your dog’s breath and polish their teeth to help fight gum disease.
- Safe for Dogs: Veterinary approved and completely safe enzymatic formula.
- Taste: Some people complained that their dog didn’t like the taste.
aspergillus niger fermentation extract, sorbitol, dextrose, poultry digest, water, glycerin. potassium sorbate, dicalcium phosphate, citric acid, xanthan gum, sodium benzoate, hydrated silica, disodium phosphate, and acidified calcium sulfate.
#3 Zymox Oratene Enzymatic Brushless Oral Care
Zymox Dental Gel is specifically formulated for both cats and dogs. It is the #1 recommended oral hygiene product for dry mouth.
Use it daily to protect your pet from plaque, bad breath, and periodontal diseases.
- Gentle Formula: Helps soothe and relieve your pet from dry mouth (Xerostomia)
- Two Patented Enzyme Systems: Oral care designed to inhibit bacteria that is responsible for bad breath, dissolve plaque biofilm, boost the natural oral flora, and help protect your pet against gum disease.
- Protection: Protects your pet against bacteria and yeast.
- Odor Protection: Helps reduce harmful odor-causing bacteria.
- Puppies: Safe to use on cats, dogs, kittens, and puppies as well as aging pets.
- Safe: For pets with irritated or sensitive mouths.
- 2.5 ounce Tube: Some people have complained about the small size. (one small tube should last 60 days)
aloe vera, dextrose, potassium thiocyanate, glyceryl methacrylate, cellulose gum, sorbitol, and polyglycitol.
How to Use Dental Gel
Apply 1/2 strip daily to your dog’s lower and upper gums after eating. For best results use continuously for 5-7 days.
Final Word On Canine Toothpaste For Pugs
Pugs are more likely than other breeds to have problems with their teeth. All the enzymatic toothpaste on this post can help you maintain proper oral hygiene for your pooch.
It may take some time some time to get your Pug used to you cleaning their teeth, especially, if you’ve never done it before. If they don’t like you touching their gums, then you may want to consider using these doggie dental chews to keep their breath fresh.
Regular brushing at home should NOT replace your dog’s professional cleanings and exams.