Can Pugs Eat Mushrooms? What You Need To Know

It’s completely normal for you to wonder “can Pugs eat mushrooms?” Especially, when you see your dog sniffing around your yard, park, garden, or going crazy whenever you grill portobello mushrooms on the grill. Are mushrooms safe for dogs and should you panic if you see them nibbling on a mushroom in your backyard?

Can Pugs Eat Mushrooms?

As long as your dog eats store-bought mushrooms, (chanterelle, morel, porcini and etc) they should be fine. This doesn’t mean you should add mushrooms to your dog’s diet, they don’t need mushrooms in their diet. Avoid letting your dog eat wild mushrooms as they can destroy cells in the body and cause kidney and liver failure.

can pugs eat mushrooms

If you own a curious Pug that likes to eat grass, weeds, or anything else. It’s important to know that wild mushrooms can make your dog sick. In this post, we’ll reveal the top wild mushrooms that are the most dangerous and the safest mushrooms to eat.

Consult with your veterinarian if you’re thinking about adding mushrooms or any new foods to your dog’s diet.

Are There Any Benefits To Feeding Mushrooms To Pugs?

store bought mushrooms
Store bought mushrooms should be fine for canine consumption.

It’s completely normal to wonder whether or not the foods we eat are beneficial for our dogs. Many pet owners are switching from commercial dog food to homemade dog food because they want to give their pets the very best.

When you open your fridge to get a snack, you’ll likely ask yourself questions such as “can my Pug eat tomatoes?” or “can my Pug eat grapes?” The list can go on and on, after all our furbabies love eating whatever we eat.

Mushrooms contain a lot of beneficial nutrients, depending on the type of species. Many include copper, thiamin, zinc, Vitamin A, Vitamin B, amino acids, folate, selenium, pantothenic acid, potassium, iron, enzymes, iron, and riboflavin.

They are also high in fiber and some like the Shitake mushrooms contain a good amount of protein and are good for your dog.

Some mushrooms contain antioxidants, such as selenium, and ergothioneine, which are anti-inflammatory compounds that are great for older dogs that have joint issues or arthritis.

The biggest issue is that your dog will likely never be able to eat a huge amount of mushrooms to see the full benefit of this veggie. Plus, when you cook a mushroom, it can lose half of its nutrients, particularly it’s water-soluble vitamin content.

Note: This article is written by someone who owned a Pug for 16 years, not a veterinarian, and shouldn’t be a substitute for professional advice. If your Pug has eaten something potentially dangerous or is showing signs of illness, you should contact your vet immediately!

Are Mushrooms Safe For Pugs?

As long as your pup doesn’t have any allergies or underlying health issues, store-bought mushrooms should be safe. The most common edible mushrooms found in stores are:

  • Maitake
  • Portobello
  • Button or White mushroom
  • Enoki
  • Shitake
  • Crimini
  • Oyster
  • Beech

All mushrooms have a unique taste and feel, your dog may or may not like.

If you’re planning on letting your dog have a taste, make sure you know how to shop for the right mushrooms. Avoid mushrooms that are too moist or have mold on them. If you have old mushrooms that have been in the fridge for about 4-5 days, don’t share them with your pet.

What Kinds of Wild Mushrooms Are Dangerous For Pugs?

toxic mushrooms
Wild mushrooms can make your dog extremely sick and can be fatal.

There are over 10,000 different species of mushrooms throughout the United States, which makes it hard to know which ones poisonous. Unfortunately, most people have no clue which mushrooms are poisonous or not.

It’s best to teach your dog to avoid all mushrooms. A simple “leave it” command can help you teach your dog to leave them alone.

Toxic mushrooms will vary from region to region and the side effects your dog will vary depending on the species. Below are the most common species of wild mushrooms in the US that are poisonous to dogs:

  • False morels
  • Amanita phalloides (death cap mushroom)
  • Clitocybe dealbata
  • Amanita ocreata (Western death angel)
  • Galerina marginata
  • Amanita bisporigera
  • Gyromitra esculenta
  • Gyromitra infula
  • Chlorophyllum moldybidites

My Pug At A Mushroom In The Yard, What Should I Do?

Whenever you suspect your dog has eaten a mushroom in the yard or on a walk, you should take them to the vet or Animal ER clinic immediately. While only a few types of mushrooms are toxic to dogs, it can be difficult to know whether or not the one your dog ate is poisonous.

It’s best to seek medical attention as quickly as possible as it will cost less and there’s a much better chance to safe your dog.

If possible, bring the mushroom in question to the clinic with you. This will help the vet identify the type of mushroom your dog ate and the best course of treatment to help your pooch.

Treatments for canine mushroom poisoning will vary from:

  • Inducing vomiting to remove the toxins
  • Fluid therapy
  • Activated charcoal
  • Antibiotics
  • Blood transfusions may be necessary in severe cases

Digestive Problems Can Be Common

Even if your dog is eating edible mushrooms that are safe to eat, they can experience gastrointestinal issues such as an upset tummy or diarrhea. Some dogs may be allergic to mushrooms, which can trigger a food allergy. Some symptoms of food allergies can include:

  • Skin problems
  • Excessive gas
  • Vomiting immediately after eating

Always monitor your pooch whenever feeding them any new types of food. If you notice any negative reactions, stop feeding them immediately.

Also, don’t force them to eat something, just because you want to create a video or social media post of your Pug eating a mushroom.

Symptoms of Toxic Mushroom Ingestion

If your pooch consumes a toxic mushroom, they will start showing side effects from the toxicity which can consist of the following:

  • Lethargy
  • Seizures
  • Weakness
  • Uncoordinated movements
  • Pain in the abdomen
  • Excessive drooling
  • Sleep-like coma
  • Yellowing of the skin and “whites of eyes”

Can My Pug Eat Cooked Mushrooms?

Yes, your dog can eat cooked edible mushrooms, but it doesn’t mean they should. Many people love cooking mushrooms and adding it to their sandwiches, pizza, spaghetti, hamburgers and etc. As mentioned most edible mushrooms are not toxic to dogs, however, when you add them to foods they can come into contact with spices and other foods such as onions and garlic that are toxic to dogs.

If you do decide to share some cooked mushrooms with your four-legged friend, then cook them as plain as possible. Don’t add any seasonings, butter, salt, or flavorings to it.

Should I Feed My Pug Mushrooms?

Personally, I would never give my dog cooked or raw mushrooms. There are so many other healthier treats for your Pug and you won’t ever have to worry about your dog eating a bad mushroom that can make them sick.

It’s best to stick with foods that are safe for your Pug and avoid feeding them any type of mushroom! Always be cautious when walking your dog and if you have mushrooms in your yard, you need to get rid of them.

Alternatives To Mushrooms For Pugs

If your Pug loves eating anything you do, and you don’t want to give your dog mushrooms, then you may want to consider some of these healthier options. These pet-friendly fruits and veggies will make your dog happy and you won’t have to worry about your dog falling in love with the taste of mushrooms.

Conclusion

The bottom line is the edible mushrooms you find in the store contain vitamins and minerals that can be beneficial for dogs. However, wild mushrooms can be extremely toxic and can poison your dog making them sick or even cause death.

There are mush safer human foods for dogs, plus you won’t have to worry about your dog liking the taste and accidentally eating a mushroom they find in your yard.

References and Further Reading

Wag – What is Mushroom Poisoning?

Black Pug Site