Pugs are sensitive dogs and are highly prone to allergies and other coat issues. This means that you need to find products that will not only keep them happy and healthy but are sensitive enough to NOT cause allergic reactions. Today, we’re going to be looking at the best shampoo for Pugs as well as how to find the best products for Pugs!
What Shampoo Is Good For Pugs?
With this breed, it’s best to choose organic pet shampoos with all-natural ingredients that will help moisturize the skin without drying it. Shampoos and conditioners should be enriched with natural antioxidants and natural antibacterial agents to help clean your pooch and keep them smelling fresh.
Recommended Dog Shampoo For Pugs
*This page contains affiliate links to products I recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you.
If you’re in a hurry, and your Pug does not require any special shampoo, then here are some of the most popular Pug shampoos.
Note: Scented shampoos are popular with Pug owners due to the smelliness of this breed. However, scented infusions are one of the most common ingredients in shampoos and conditions that can trigger allergic reactions and skin irritations. If you’re using a gentle shampoo and it still causes an allergic reaction, try using a non-scented brand.
If you have a puppy, you need to check out some of these gentle shampoos for Pug puppies. Puppies need gentle products that won’t cause any harm or discomfort to your little one.
It may take some time to find the right shampoo and conditioner for your dog. Every dog is different and what works for one may not work for others. This means it may take you time to find the right one for your pooch.
I’ve done my best to bring you some of the best Pug shampoos that will work. However, if your Pug has any type of special needs, fleas, or any other issues, these may not work for them. These are preventative shampoos that are meant to use while grooming or bathing your Pug.
Do Pugs Need Special Shampoo?
Unless your pet requires special care, you may need to use a medicated shampoo and other methods to cure your pup. Otherwise, your Pug should be fine using coat products including shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in- coat sprays.
Of course, you may need to invest in other products to clean their wrinkles, ears, teeth, and eyes.
We’ll take a look at some of the different types of shampoo for Pug dogs if they shed a lot or have itchy skin below.
What To Look For When Shopping For Pug Shampoo
If you’ve never had a Pug before, I know that it can be challenging to know what type of dog shampoo to buy and how to properly use it. I’ll share some tips on what to look for and how to buy one.
Your veterinarian is a good resource to help you find the right shampoo for your Pug. If you have no clue what to use, consult your vet’s office. There’s a good chance that they may even carry a supply of what you need to purchase.
The downside is that you may be able to find the same product or something similar online and pay less. Don’t be afraid to ask friends or family members with dogs, trainers or visit a pet store to see what they recommend.
When I had my black Pug Mindy, we only used products that specifically said “veterinarian recommended” on the bottle.
As a dog owner, it’s important to know what’s being used on your pet’s body. This means you need to take the time to read the labels and understand the contents in the shampoo before you purchase.
No shampoo is meant to be used for every dog, every dog is different! Different shampoos may serve different purposes. Some may be medicated for a specific condition.
A Pug that suffers from dry itchy skin, or has fleas, will need the right shampoo to help with their specific condition.
Ingredients To Avoid
Never use human shampoo on your dog’s coat, as the pH levels are meant for humans. However, it’s not just human grade shampoos you should avoid using, there are several ingredients in dog shampoos you should avoid.
These ingredients have caused several controversies and may be toxic or unsafe for dogs. (source)
- Artificial fragrances
- Artificial Colors
- Formaldehyde Preservative
- Isothiazolinone Preservatives
- Paraben Preservatives – has been linked to cancer, estrogen disruption, and reproductive issues.
- Mineral Oil – Can prevent your dog’s skin from releasing its own natural oils and eliminating toxins.
I know that it can be scary to buy shampoo for your Pug. That’s why I’ve shared some of the safest and best ones as well as what ingredients they contain below.
Pugs have sensitive skin, so it’s best to choose organic pet shampoos with all-natural ingredients.
According to 4 Legger, certified organic dog shampoo doesn’t contain any harmful synthetic ingredients and is much safer on your dog’s skin. (source)
Owning a dog can be expensive, and this is why some people tend to choose the cheapest products on the market. While you don’t have to spend a ton of money on dog shampoo and products, you definitely want to avoid always choosing the cheapest products.
Dog shampoo costs will vary, but you can expect to pay anywhere from $5.00 to as high as $60, depending on the type you get.
I’ve done my best to bring you some of the most affordable and safe shampoos for your Pug dog below.
Pug Care Products And Use To Help Maintain Pug Coat Health
As a Pug owner, you’ll not only need a good grooming brush to help you control the shedding problem. You’ll also want to invest in 3 products to help keep your Pug’s fur shiny and healthy.
A good dog shampoo should be used once every three weeks or if your Pug requires more frequent bathing. This will help cleanse their body and remove any loose hair and accumulated oils that are responsible for bad odors.
Regular bathing and grooming with a good shampoo will help keep their skin healthy and properly moisturized. It can also help treat common skin problems such as yeast infections, dry skin, rashes or uncontrollable itching.
This is used in conjunction with dog shampoo whenever you bathe them. I’d recommend bathing them once every three weeks or more often depending on how bad they shed or smell.
During the bathing process, your Pug’s essential body oils are rinsed off from their double-layered coat. The cuticles are left open, and the conditioner encloses the hairs while providing nourishing elements to help boost the health of your dog’s fur.
Avoid choosing thick conditioners that may not be able to penetrate a Pug’s hair. The right conditioner will provide the perfect balance of moisturizer and healing elements that will make your Pug’s coat shiny and healthy.
The right conditioners can also help remove dead hair from your Pug’s undercoat, especially, if they are shedding heavily.
Leave-In Coat Spray
These products are perfect for helping you maintain your Pug’s coat in between grooming sessions without a bath. A leave-in coat spray helps soften your Pug’s coat and helps reduce static cling.
It not only helps keep your pet’s coat shiny and smelling good, it also protects your pooch from a wide range of weather-related elements. It also helps keep their skin moisturized and smelling fresh.
You’ll want to apply ever 1-3 days to offer the best protection for your pooch.
5 Of The Best Shampoo For Pugs
#1 Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog Shampoo
Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Shampoo is safe to use on both cats and dogs. It is a soap-free product that is designed specifically for itchy, dry skin. It is recommended by veterinarians to help promote healing, re-moisturize dry sensitive skin, and combat skin irritations.
All-natural shampoo that is soap-free and pH balanced for your pet’s coat. It is available in a 16-ounce bottle.
Earthbath shampoo is available in many different types of shampoo and conditioners for your dog such as Eucalyptus and Peppermint, Hypo-Allergenic shampoo, Light Color Coat Brightener Shampoo, Tea Tree Oil & Aloe Vera Shampoo.
- Gentle: Completely safe and gentle for your Pug’s fur.
- Soap Free: Made with 3% oatmeal and organic aloe vera.
- Odors: Helps neutralize bad smelly odors.
- Available Scents: comes in several scents such as Vanilla almond or you can opt for the fragrance-free variety.
- Biodegradable: All ingredients are natural and 100% biodegradable and gentle.
- Itch Relief: Earthbath oatmeal and aloe shampoo is designed to help bring relief to pets with itchy skin problems.
Not recommended: To use for puppies under 6 weeks of age. If you have a new Pug puppy, you’ll want to get this Earthbath Totally Natural for Puppies.
I’ve put together a huge list of puppy safe shampoos you’ll love!
These are the ingredients you’ll find in the Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe dog shampoo.
Purified water, 3% colloidal oatmeal, aloe vera, renewable coconut-based cleansers, olive oil squalene (natural preservative), and vanilla essences.
#2 Burt’s Bee Natural Oatmeal Shampoo With Honey & Colloidal Oat Flour
Groom your Pug with Colloidal Oat Flour and Honey | Oatmeal Shampoo.
Burt’s Bees Oatmeal With Colloidal Oat Flour and Honey dog shampoo contains only the highest quality ingredients, which makes it completely safe to use on your Pug dog.
The Burt’s Bees products are perfect for pet owners who have a dog that suffers from uncontrollable itchiness, bad body odor sheds uncontrollable, and is hypoallergenic. Burt’s Bees products can be found in the form of grooming wipes, spray in conditioners, shampoos, and even ear cleaners, paw and nose lotions and so much more.
- pH Balanced: For both cats and dogs.
- Natural Ingredients: Made with 97% all-natural ingredients and does NOT contain Petroleum, Parabens, Phthalates, Synthetic Fragrances or SLS.
- Colloidal Oat Flour: Helps control itchiness that is caused by skin irritations and eczema.
- Honey: Helps retain and regulate moisture in hair to strengthen hair follicles for healthy growth.
- Dogs of All Ages: pH balanced for dogs and even puppies.
- Beeswax: Perfect for dogs with sensitive skin.
- Veterinarian Approved: 100% safe to use on dogs and is free of fragrances, colorants, and other harsh chemicals. Mild enough for sensitive Pugs and puppies.
- Gentle: Great for dogs that suffer from dandruff, itchy, or sensitive skin.
- Bottle Size: Some people complain that the bottle sizes are too small.
- Active Breeds: Doesn’t work well on active breeds or dogs with a lot of excess fur.
You’ll want to store this shampoo in a cool dry place such as a closet indoors. You won’t find any artificial fragrances in any of Burt’s Bees products and this is what you’ll find in a bottle of this shampoo.
Beeswax, Water, Glyceryl Oleate, Camelia Sinensis (Green Tea) Extract, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Benzoate, Coco Betaine, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Honey, Colloidal Oatmeal, Potassium Sorbate, Coco-Glucoside.
As always, make sure you do not get this shampoo in contact with your dog’s eyes. If you do, you’ll want to flush their eyes thoroughly with water.
#3 Furminator DeShedding Ultra Premium Dog Shampoo
The Furminator Deshedding Ultra Premium Dog Shampoo is perfect for Pugs that are experiencing heavy shedding and you want to help control it. This breed tends to shed quite a bit and that’s why it’s important to find premium bathing solutions to help minimize the shedding problem while providing you the benefits you’d expect from a pet shampoo.
Furminator products come in conditioners, leave-in sprays, brushes, and deshedding tools to help you care for your pet’s hygiene. The best part is that all Furminator shampoos and hair care products are free of chemical dyes, parabens, and other harmful chemicals.
- Healthy Skin: Promotes healthy skin and fur and reduces the amount of shedding.
- Vitamins and Proteins: Enriched with Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids, Calendula Extract, and Papaya Leaf Extract.
- Natural Ingredients: Blend of natural ingredients to leave your Pug’s coat shiny, healthy and protect against excessive shedding issues.
- Made in the USA: Contains NO harmful chemicals, artificial colors, or parabens.
- Recommended by Veterinarians: Used and recommended by both veterinarians and professional groomers.
- Dogs Only: Some people say that it should only be used for dogs only, NOT cats.
Now let’s take a look at the ingredients you’ll find in one bottle of the Furminator Deshedding Ultra Premium Dog shampoo.
Sunflower Seed Oil, Natural Shampoo, Water, Chamomille, Wheat and Oat Proteins, Aloe Vera, Hydrolyzed Oat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids, Safflower Seed Oil, Natural Surfactants, Cranberry Seed Oil, Papaya Leaf Extract, Seed Oil, Calendula Extract, Kava Extract, Vitamin E.
#4 Nature’s Miracle Oatmeal Supreme Odor Control Dog Shampoo And Conditioner
Nature's Specialty is specially formulated for dogs and cats, and pH balanced to make your dog's coat smooth and shiny.
Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor Control Oatmeal Dog Shampoo and Conditioner is perfect for helping your Pug smell fresh and clean.
This product is specially formulated to combat pet coat odors while maintaining essential pet skin oils. It is a soap-free product that is safe to use with spot-on flea & tick products.
- Scent: Formulated with a honey sage scent to leave a fresh clean smell on your pet’s coat.
- Oatmeal Formula: It contains no parabens or harmful dyes and leaves your dog’s coat and skin soft and smooth.
- Trusted Brand: They have been in the pet mess cleanup business for more than 35 years.
- Size: The oatmeal shampoo comes in a 32-ounce bottle that will last a long time.
- Made In The USA: All their shampoos and cleaning products are manufactured in the United States.
- Smell: Some people have complained that they didn’t like the way the shampoo smelled.
#5 Tropiclean Hypo-Allergenic Shampoo For Puppies And Kittens
TropiClean is a hypo-allergenic shampoo that is gentle enough for Pug puppies.
Tropiclean is perfect for your Pug puppy’s first bath. It is a Hypo-Allergenic shampoo that is extra-mile and soap-free, which makes it gentle enough for puppies and kittens.
Gently remove your puppies allergy-causing dander while protecting their skin and coat.
- Hypo-Allergenic: Extremely gentle and safe for puppies and kittens.
- Recyclable: Packaging is made from 50% recycled material which makes it environmentally friendly.
- Organic: Made from 70% organic natural cleansing materials.
- Soap Free: Can be used with spot-on flea products.
- Tropical Coconut Scent: Leaves your pooch smelling clean with an aroma of coconut leaves.
- Packaging: Some people complained that the bottle leaks easily because it doesn’t have a good seal on top.
What About Leave-In Spray Conditioners?
There are literally tons of different options to choose from, but here are a couple of great choices that you’ll love. This is the one that I recommend and used to use on Mindy my black Pug.
As a Pug owner, you’ll definitely want to find something that you can use in between baths, especially, if you don’t bathe your Pug frequently.
Leave in sprays can be found in different types of flavors and varieties from plant-based, Aloe Vera & Honey, Vanilla & Amber, Lavender and etc… so don’t be afraid to test out different ones to see which ones work best for your Pug.
I recommend this one and we used it on our black Pug.
Nootie Sweet Pea & Vanilla Daily Spritz For Canines
Keep your Pug smelling fresh between baths with this leave-in conditioner that is great for conditioning their skin and coat.
The Nootie Sweet Pea & Vanilla Spritz will help keep your Pug’s body odor in control between their regular bathing sessions. It will also help keep their coat conditioned while protecting their skin and coat from the natural elements.
A generous spray lasts a long time and does not contain any harsh chemicals or sulfates. This spray can also be found in other flavors such as Cucumber Melon, Warm Vanilla Cookie, Coconut Lime Verbena, and Japanese Cherry Blossom.
- Safe To Use: Can be used with topical flea and tick products.
- Natural Ingredients: Made with all-natural ingredients and free of soap and parabens.
- Long-Lasting: Just a few sprays and it helps keep your Pug smelling good between baths. One bottle will last around 6 months, depending on how often you use it.
- Scent: Some people have complained about the scent being too strong. Personally, I NEVER had an issue with the smell, so everyone will be different.
The ingredients consist of Glycerin (Moisturizer), Purified Water, Polysorbate 80, Kathon CG (Preservative), Fragrance, SDA 40B Alcohol, Polyquaternium-7 (Conditioner).
The gentle conditioning formula does not contain any sulfates or harsh chemicals. To use, you just spray small amounts directly on your Pug’s coat to help condition and moisturize their fur between washes. You don’t have to worry about washing it out.
Best Shampoo for Pugs With Allergies or Skin Problems
If your pooch as allergies, bacterial skin infections, or other skin problems, you’ll want to look for a medicated dog shampoo. There are several types of medicated shampoos that are specifically formulated to treat itchy, dry, fungal, bacterial, and yeast infections.
Consult with your veterinarian to find out what’s causing the problems and to find the best products for Pugs with skin issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where to buy Earthbath dog shampoo?
This shampoo can be bought at most local pet stores such as; Petco, Petsmart and online at Chewy and Amazon.
Can I use human shampoo on a dog? No, human shampoos are too harsh on a dogs’ coat and skin. The chemicals and perfumes in a human shampoo can irritate your Pug’s skin and coat.
is Burt’s Bees dog shampoo soap-free? All of Burt’s Bees pet products are cruelty, colorant, and sulfate-free.
Final Word On Pug Shampoo
As I mentioned, every dog is different and it may take some shopping around to find the right shampoo for Pugs that actually works for you.
However, if your Pug does not require any special type of shampoo such as medicated, any of the above should help you keep their coat properly maintained.
After a few good baths, you will be able to notice a huge difference in the way their coat looks and feels. Of course, don’t forget the shampoo and the leave-in conditioner to help maintain their coat properly!
You might also want to check out some of the best brushes for Pugs that will help keep their coat healthy.