Getting ready to take your Pug for a walk and wondering what the best harness for pugs is that will keep your small dog safe? In this article, we’re going to take a look at the different types of dog harnesses and which ones are best for flat-faced dogs like the Pug.
What Is The Best Harness for Pugs?
The Pug harness is one that fits comfortably around their entire body. A body harness protects your short-snout dog from being suffocated or trigger breathing problems.
In fact, all the dog harnesses I share will work great for flat-faced dogs like Shih T’zu’s, Pekingenese and etc.
Because of their “short head”, a Pug can struggle with breathing problems. As an owner, there are several health-related issues that your Pug will struggle with because of being a Brachycephalic breed.
It’s important to make sure that you don’t use accessories that can trigger breathing difficulties. Scroll below to find out the different types of harnesses for brachycephalic dogs and how to shop for one.
*This page contains affiliate links to products I recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you.
Top Recommended Pug Dog Harness
I highly recommend this Amazon Pug harness that is designed to eliminate pressure for your dog’s neck.
Comfort Sport wrap breathable, adjustable harness makes it easy to put on/take off. The metal D-ring adds more control while walking your Pug.
Best Pug Harness vs A Regular Leash
When I first got my black Pug, I purchased a regular leash, because that’s all I really knew. At the time Mindy was just a puppy and I was trying to train her to go on daily walks. Check out these dog seat belts and harnesses to keep your pooch safe while traveling in a vehicle.
As soon as I put the leash on her, she started pulling. Her pulling caused her to struggle with her breathing, that I had no choice but to look into alternatives.
After doing my due diligence, I chose to go with a harness. , Unlike a leash, the harness goes around their entire body and if they do happen to pull, it will not put a strain on their neck.
Now let’s take a look at all the different types of harness available on the market.
All Types of Dog Harnesses For Pugs
With over 300 dog different dog breeds, it can be challenging to know what type of harness to get for your Pug. NOT all harnesses will work for a Pug, and it’s important to find one that is designed for their unique body type.
Here are some of the most common harness types you’ll want to consider when shopping for a new harness.
This is the one that I used for Mindy my black Pug. It’s easy to put on because your dog just steps in and puts their feet through the holes. Most dogs prefer this type because you don’t have to put anything over their head.
This type of dog harness has both front and rear clip options, giving the owner much more control. The front clip allows you to guide the dog while walking, the back clip offers more control if the dog pulls or lunges.
Some dogs do not respond well to the webbed design, because it can make them uncomfortable and cause chafing around the shoulders. These can be more expensive and are mostly recommended for dogs that pull a lot.
Due to the position of the leash attachment, it makes it more difficult for the dog to pull. The downside is that the leash is more likely to get tangled around your Pug’s legs because of the position of the clip.
I’d only recommend getting a front clip if your Pug is energetic and suffers from the zoomies when walking.
This is similar to the step-in dog harness and the ring that the leash attaches to is on the top of the dog’s back. Dogs typically adjust fairly quickly to this walking apparatus.
The back clip harnesses are perfect for dogs that have been properly leash trained and do not pull.
This is perfect for dogs that do not pull. They fit just like a piece of clothing and won’t cause any chafing under the armpits. Your dog won’t even mind wearing it all day, and the velcro or zipper makes it easy to put on and take off.
This is a great option if you don’t take your Pug for long walks and need something that’s easy and convenient.
Do Pugs Need A Harness?
All dogs regardless of breed need to be on a leash, especially, if you live in an area where leash laws are in effect. A harness or collar is an apparatus that allows you to attach the leash to via a D-ring, giving you complete control over your dog.
As a dog owner, this protects your dog from biting people or starting fights with other animals. It also protects your dog from getting run over or just wandering off and getting hurt or lost.
Flat faced dogs will be much more comfortable wearing a harness as opposed to a dog collar. Don’t, worry, I’ll be sharing some of the best flat face dog harness products on the market below.
What To Look For In Dog Harnesses for Pugs When Buying
A harness is a necessary accessory for your new furbaby. It will allow you to start training them and you’ll even be able to take them on a daily walk, without worrying about breathing problems.
Now let’s take a look at how to shop for your new harness and ensure it fits properly.
Make Sure That It Has A Snug Fit
Depending on your Pugs weight, you’ll want to make sure that the harness has a snug fit. You want the harness to be snug, but you should still be able to stick your finger into the harness. If you can’t stick your finger into the harness, it may be too snug and will be uncomfortable for your pet.
Easy to Put On
Make the experience of the harness as easy as possible for your pet. If it’s a constant struggle to get it put on your pet, they will hate it and will fight you every time you try to put it on them.
We ended up getting Mindy a step-in harness that was designed of nylon. When she was a puppy, we had one that was made with mesh and she loved both of them.
Find one that is easy to put on and take off. It’ll make your life easier and your pet will actually bond with the harness and will look forward to going for walks.
Make Sure It Has Some Padding
While the padding isn’t absolutely necessary, it can help protect your Pug if they do pull a lot. The padding can protect them from skin irritations that can be caused by the harness rubs up against them.
Personally, I never had to worry about this, because Mindy loved her leash and she never pulled once I switched from a collar to a harness.
Pug Harness Size
Pet supplies can be expensive and one of the best ways to ensure that you’re not overspending is to invest in one that is adjustable. While you won’t necessarily be able to use a puppy harness on an adult Pug.
Once you Pug becomes an adult, you should be able to use the same harness as they enter their senior years.
How Does It Clip-On?
Depending on how much control you want over your dog, the way it clips on will make a huge difference. A front-clip harness will give you more control over their behavioral issues. Back clip harnesses are easier to put on and will help protect their neck if they happen to pull.
Unlike the back clip harness, you won’t have as much control over their movements. But if you trained them properly, you shouldn’t have too much trouble with them pulling while walking.
If you love taking walks in the morning or the afternoon, you may want to consider investing in a harness that has reflective material, which makes it easier for people to see your furbaby.
There are literally tons of different pet products you can choose from. This can make it challenging for first-time Pug owners who don’t know what to look for, especially, if they don’t know what to expect from this breed.
Shop online and offline to compare prices. Scroll below as I’ve rounded up several of the best harnesses for Pug dogs that work great and won’t break the bank.
We took Mindy to Petsmart when we were looking to buy her a kennel and other essentials she would need. These types of stores don’t mind if you take your dog into the store. We ended up buying some brushes and her kennel at the store.
Is It Washable or Easy to Maintain?
Just like their pet bed, you’ll want to make sure that you find one that is easy to clean and maintain. Some people prefer leather collars and harnesses because they are easy to clean. All you have to do is apply a coat of polish and it’s like a brand new product. I personally like nylon because it’s quick and easy to clean up, plus it is resistant to odors.
Pugs are known to have skin allergies so make sure that you’re finding the right material that doesn’t cause any type of skin irritations.
Do You Want Something Trendy?
I’ve seen smaller dog owners with harnesses and collars that have custom designs on them. Maybe you’re a practical person and don’t care about trendy products?
7 Of The Best Harnesses For A Pug
#1 Rabbitgoo Best No-Pull Harness for Pugs (Top Rated)
The Rabbitgoo Dog Body Harness comes in different sizes for all breeds, from small to extra-large sizes. The 2 metal leash rings give you more control when your dog pulls.
- No Pull: The two leash attachable leash rings give you more control over the front and the chest of your pooch.
- Pressure: The pressure is distributed evenly throughout your dog’s body to prevent choking and pulling.
- Fast-Release Buckles: The fast release buckles make it easy to put on and take off, for safety measures.
- Adjustable: 4 adjustable straps that make it easy to secure snugly on the neck and chest.
- Comfort: The padded nylon oxford provides soft cushioning so it won’t chafe and cause any skin irritations.
- Breathable: The mesh material keeps your dog comfortable when walking outside on the hot days.
- Reflective Material: 3M reflective strips on the vest make it easy for people to see your pooch both day and night.
- Hand Wash Only: It is NOT machine washable.
- Chew Proof: Make sure your dog doesn’t chew it because they will tear it.
The small sizes are recommended for small dog breeds such as Corgi, Puggle, Pug, Chihuahua, Perrier and etc. The sizing is based on weight and the small harness has a weight capacity of 18 – 35 lbs.
How to Put On The Rabbitgoo Harness?
Just unbuckle the 2-side buckles and chest straps. Slip your dogs head through the front opening. Make sure that the D-ring and Rabbitgoo logo is on your dog’s back.
Secure the buckles on the sides and chest. Use the “2-finger rule” to make sure that it’s not too tight.
Put the lease through the D-ring and that’s it. Your four-legged friend is ready to go for a walk.
#2 Puppia RiteFit Soft Canine Harness
The Puppia RiteFit Soft Dog harness can safely protect your pooch while on walks. The quick-release buckles make it easy to put on and take off. It comes with an adjustable chest belt which makes it easy to conform to your dog’s body type.
It comes in many different sizes for both small breeds dogs and large breed dogs. You even have the option of choosing from several different colors.
- Neck Adjustability: This allows you to fit the harness properly for dogs that are still growing.
- Soft Harness: comfortable for your pooch to wear.
- Mesh Material: High-quality air mesh material makes it breathable and water-repellant.
- Quick Release Buckles: Makes it easy to remove quickly in case of an emergency.
- D-Rings: Comes with two D-rings on the back for more control.
- Chest Belt: Adjustable and makes it easy to fit properly to your dog.
- Sizing: Some people complained about the sizing.
Make sure you measure the base of the neck and the chest. Add about 1/4 to 1/2 inches to the neck girth.
When measuring their chest, always measure the widest part of their torso. This is the part that is right behind their front legs.
Don’t forget to leave enough room for the two-finger rule for comfort.
How to Put On The Puppia RiteFit Dog Harness
This is a very basic harness, but one of the most popular for small dog breeds. It’s extremely easy to put on and this video will walk you through on how to put on a Puppia harness.
#3 Ruffwear Front Range Harness
The Ruffwear Front Range body harness is perfect if you have an active Pug that loves going for long walks or hiking. Like the other harnesses, it comes in several different sizes, which makes it perfect for all dog breeds.
- Extended Wear: The lightweight padded material is comfortable and durable enough to wear on all your outdoor adventures.
- Easy To Put On: Easy to snap buckles make it easy to put on and take off.
- Adjustable: 4 points of adjustment, which make it easy to customize the fit to your Pug.
- Reflective Material: Trim makes it easy to see your pooch in the day and night.
- Connections: two reinforced leash attachments for more control.
- ID Tag: The ID pocket makes it easy for you to store your dog’s tags in case of an emergency.
- No Pull: Designed for dogs that love to pull.
- Washable: Hand wash with a mild detergent and allow it to air dry.
- Easy to Slip Out: Some people have said that their dog has been able to slip out of it easily. (always make sure it fits properly.)
Sizes will vary from dog breed to dog breed. Make sure you measure your dog’s neck and chest girth before ordering.
#4 Frisco Front Lead With Padding
The Frisco Padded Front Lead Harness is a great option for Pug parents who want a comfortable harness for either adults or puppies. The padded chest piece won’t cause chafing or skin irritations.
It comes in several different sizes and colors, to ensure you get the right one for your pup.
- D-Ring: Additional D-Ring on the back makes it easy to use it as a traditional harness.
- Chest O-Ring: Prevents your dog from pulling and suffering from straining their neck.
- Durability: Designed with a high-quality webbing material to prevent easy tears.
- Not Chew Resistant: Will tear if your dog chews it.
It comes in all sizes for all dog breeds. Make sure you measure your dog’s girth in inches to ensure you get the right size.
#5 Comfort Soft Mesh Step-In Dog Harness
Comfort Sport wrap breathable, adjustable harness makes it easy to put on/take off. The metal D-ring adds more control while walking your Pug.
The Best Pet Supplies Voyager Mesh Step-In Dog Harness is easy to use and extremely comfortable for your pet. This soft harness for dogs is made from a soft mesh material that won’t irritate your pup’s skin.
It comes in as an assortment of colors and sizes to fit any dog, even the most active dogs.
- Easy to Use: Just have your dog step into the vest and clip and go!
- Safety Features: It has three safety features (double D-rings, hook, loop fastener) to protect your pooch.
- Breathable: The mesh material makes it perfect to year-round.
- Durability: Designed with a heavy-duty buckle that will prevent your dog from breaking free and running away.
- Adjustable: Can easily be adjusted to fit any dog to provide a custom fit.
- Reflective: The 3M piping makes it easy to see your dog on those late nighttime walks.
- Double-D-Rings: It makes it easy to clip your dog’s favorite retractable leash to the harness.
- Velcro: Some people said that their dog was scared of the velcro Hook & Loop Fastener.
#6 Paws & Pals Dog & Cat Soft Walking Harness
The soft Paws & Pals Control Dog & Cat Walking Harness provides maximum control and comfort for your four-legged friend. The breathable lightweight material provides constant airflow to keep your pet happy and comfortable.
It’s one of the best harnesses for small dogs that don’t like wearing a collar. It comes in several sizes, which makes it perfect to fit any breed.
- Colors: You can choose from several trendy colors such as; Purple, Pink, Black, Yellow, Green, Red, and Blue.
- Comfortable: It’s a great harness for Pugs and other flat-faced breeds, as it is designed to reduce tugging and pulling, which will decrease the strain on your dog’s neck.
- Adjustable: It comes with adjustable straps that make it easy to tailor fit to your pet.
- Comfort: It is designed with a lightweight, breathable, padded fabric with soft edges for extreme comfort.
- Machine Washable: The harness is safe to be washed.
- Sizing: Make sure you measure your dog correctly as the sizing can run small.
#7 Chai’s Choice Reflective Dog Harness
The Chia Outdoor Adventure 3M Reflective harness is perfect for your sidekick. Take your Pug anywhere with this easy-to-use. snap on harness that your dog won't mind wearing.
Chai’s Choice is a Veteran owned and operated company that provides stylish leashes and dog harnesses to keep your pup safe. These harnesses come in an assortment of 9 trendy colors and sizes to fit any breed.
The reflective piping is interwoven into the durable nylon, which makes it easy to see your dog while taking those late-night walks.
- Durable: It is designed from a scratch-free oxford material that protects the outer layer.
- Easy To Use: The ergonomic design makes it easy to put on/take off.
- Safety: It is designed to keep your pulling pup safe on your daily walks. It features a soft nylon exterior and a durable O-ring for easy leash attachment.
- Comfort: It has a soft sponge padding on the stomach and chest to remove pressure for the neck.
- Multiple Uses: The built-in handle on top makes it easy to safely buckle your dog in the car to keep safe on road trips.
- Slippery Adjustment Straps: One of the reviews said that the adjustment straps can be sensitive/slippery and can become loose over time.
What Is The Best Harness For A Pug Puppy
Pug Puppies won’t be able to wear the same size leash as an adult, therefore you will want to make sure you buy something that won’t chafe or cause your pooch irritation.
Choose something with a lot of padding to ensure they are comfortable. When Mindy was a puppy, we used a body harness that was similar to the Frisco Padded Front Lead Dog Harness.
What Is The Best Harness For Pugs That Pull?
If your Pug pulls on the leash, you should invest more time into training them. If I was buying a body harness for a Pug that likes to Pull, I’d recommend getting something like the RabbitGoo Harness, as it is designed for dogs that pull.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should Pugs Wear A Collar Or Harness?
Due to them being a brachycephalic breed, they will better off with a body harness, especially, if they tend to pull on the leash while walking. I’ve put together a huge resource of the best collars for Pugs.
What Size Harness For A Pug?
These small breed dogs will vary from size to size. It’s important to measure your dog properly before buying a new harness or collar.
What Size Harness for a Pug Puppy?
A Puppy will require a harness that is designed for toy dogs. I recommend taking your dog to a pet supply store and having them properly measured so you can ensure you get the right size.
As your Pug matures, you will have to buy a bigger harness that is designed for small to medium sized-dogs.
Final Word On Harnesses for Pugs
Whether you choose to use a harness or a collar for your Pug, the most important thing to do is find one that fits your pet. If your pet is happy, it will make your life easier. Be sure to check out our recommended products page for more Pug dog accessories.
They’ll look forward to their daily walks and you’ll love it because they won’t fight you and make your life miserable.
Next, I’ll share some of the leashes you can buy for your pet. Plus, I’ll share the one that I used for Mindy and why.