You’re getting your puppy ready for their first bath and you realize that you only human shampoo in your bathtub. You never want to use soap or shampoo that is designed for humans, as it can harm your pup’s skin and coat. In this article, we’re going to look at some of the best shampoos for Pug puppies and why you need to use a good shampoo that is formulated for puppies.
What Is The Best Shampoo For Pug Puppies?
The best shampoo is one that won’t irritate your young pup’s skin and fur. Use a good puppy shampoo that has a calming and soothing effect to make their first bath more enjoyable.
If your puppy has a good first experience, it will make it so much easier for regular baths as they grow.
Related: Best Shampoos For Pug Dogs
*This page contains affiliate links to products I recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you.
Recommended Puppy Shampoo
If you’re in a hurry, check out this puppy safe shampoo that is gentle enough for your furbaby.
- SOOTHES AND SOFTENS — Burts Bees Puppy Shampoo and Conditioner cleans, soothes, softens, and conditions your puppy's skin and coat
- MADE WITH THE HIGHEST QUALITY INGREDIENTS — All natural ingredients include buttermilk, which soothes skin and softens hair and linseed oil, which deeply conditions your puppy's coat
Can I Wash My Pug With Baby Shampoo?
Yes, as long as your puppy has healthy skin and fur, using a gentle baby shampoo such as Johnson & Johnson’s Baby Shampoo should be safe to use once in a while. That being said, you should consider investing in a good puppy shampoo.
Baby shampoos are mild shampoos that are formulated for sensitive skin. Unlike regular shampoo, they do not contain any fragrances or harmful chemicals that can dry or irritate your puppy’s skin.
That being said, you shouldn’t get into a habit of using baby shampoo on your Pug puppy. It should only be used as an emergency backup. If you do have to bathe your puppy with baby shampoo, make sure you rinse them thoroughly get it all out of their coat.
Human Shampoo vs. Puppy Shampoo
As I mentioned above, the only type of human shampoo you can use on a puppy is baby shampoo. Never use an adult shampoo to give your Pug bath, regardless of age.
Let’s take a look at the differences between them.
Our bodies and scalps are more acidic than a dog, therefore human shampoos have stronger pH balancing agents. Human skin has a normal pH balance of 5.5-5.6, and dogs have a pH balance of 6.2-7.4.
Using a human shampoo on your canine will disrupt the acid mantle, leaving them vulnerable to bacteria, viruses, and parasites.
Canine shampoos have a more neutral pH balance range of around 7. They are specially formulated for canines and are made from safe, non-toxic ingredients that won’t irritate your dog’s skin.
5 Of The Best Puppy Shampoo And Conditioner Products, You Can Buy
#1 Hartz Groomer’s Tearless Extra Gentle Shampoo For Puppies
Hartz Best Groomers Tearless Shampoo makes your pup’s first bath extra gentle. Rest assured your puppy’s delicate skin and coat are getting special attention, with a mild, tearless formula, that won’t irritate their eyes.
You’ll love the shiny soft coat from head to tail!
- Hair Length: Suitable for all dog breeds, even long-haired dogs.
- Delicate: Designed specifically for your pup’s delicate skin and coat.
- Tearless: Won’t irritate your puppy’s eyes.
- Scent: The Jasmine scent will leave your pup smelling clean and fresh.
- Lather: Some people have said that you have to use a lot to lather a dog with a lot of hair.
#2 Earthbath Ultra-Mild Puppy Shampoo
The Earth Bath Wild Cherry shampoo is specially formulated for puppy’s sensitive skin. This tearless formula is pH balanced for your puppy’s skin and contains gentle cleansers, organic aloe vera.
It won’t wash off your pup’s topical flea applications. Safe to use on pets that are over 6 weeks of age.
- Safe: Soap-free, pH balanced, and No-Tear cleanser.
- Scent: Leaves your puppies coat smelling clean and cuddly.
- Topical Flea Treatments: Won’t wash off your pup’s protection.
- Age: It is recommended that your pet is over 6 weeks of age.
- Free Of: Parabens and phosphates.
- Scent: Some people claim that the shampoo smells good while bathing, but the smell disappears before you’re done blow-drying.
#3 Pet Head Tearless Shampoo For Puppies
Pet Head Yummy Orage, Tearless Shampoo is perfect for your pup’s sensitive skin. This hypoallergenic tearless shampoo does not contain any harsh chemicals, and leaves your puppy looking puppylicious!
The Safflower oils and Shea Butter will help restore the elasticity in your dog’s coat. It will not harm your pooch if licked or swallowed, as it is free of petroleum derivatives and DEA.
- Scent: It has a yummy orange scent.
- Coat Restoration: With safflower oil and shea butter.
- Hypoallergenic: Gentle and free of harsh chemicals.
- Safe: pH balanced for pets and safe if licked or swallowed.
- Suitable: Formulated for puppies and safe for all breeds.
- Topical Flea Application: You have to wait 24 hours before or after flea applications.
#4 Perfect Coat Pampered Puppy Shampoo
Perfect Coat Puppy Shampoo is specially formulated with extra mild and tearless ingredients. It gently cleans your pup, while protecting their delicate coat and skin.
This easy rinse formula provides a long-lasting fresh scent that will make you want to cuddle with your puppy.
- Conditioning: It contains Keratin, Jojabo Oils and milk protein to moisturize your pup’s skin and coat.
- Rinse: This Easy Rinse Formula makes it easy to get the shampoo out of your pet’s coat during the rinsing phase.
- Gentle: Formulated for a puppy’s delicate skin and fur.
- Tearless: It won’t irritate your pup’s eyes during bathtime.
- Itchy: Some people have said that the shampoo made their dog itcy and they developed dandruff.
#5 Isle Of Dogs No-Tear Puppy Shampoo
The Isle Of Dogs Tearless Shampoo is specially formulated for a puppy’s sensitive coat and skin. This product is free of sulfates and parabens.
Rest assured this tearless puppy shampoo will not irritate your little one’s eyes.
- Tearless: It won’t irritate your pup’s eyes during bathtime. You can even use it to wash your Pug’s face.
- Scent: This Signature cotton and fresh orchid scent will leave your pup smelling clean.
- Free Of: Parabens and Sulfates.
- Made In The USA
- Safe: It won’t irritate your pup’s skin, eyes, or skin.
- Strong Smell: One review complained that the smell was too strong, but others said the scent wasn’t too strong.
#6 Burt’s Bees Tearless Puppy Shampoo
Burt’s Bees Tearless Puppy Shampoo makes it easy to clean your smelly pup with nature’s finest ingredients. It is free of colorants, sulfates and is pH balanced for dogs.
This Buttermilk formula will nourish your pup’s skin and coat.
- Safe: pH Balanced for dogs and won’t dry out this skin.
- 97% Natural: It is a cruelty-free product that contains no colorants or sulfates.
- Safe: To use with topical flea and tick treatments.
- Honey: Will help retain and regulate moisture in your pup’s hair follicles to ensure healthy hair growth.
- Buttermilk: Helps soothe and soften your pet’s skin.
Allergic Reaction: I read a review where someone said that their pup had an allergic reaction, and their skin turned pink.
Do I Need To Buy Puppy Shampoo For My Pug?
If you really care about your puppies coat, you definitely should buy some puppy shampoo. If you’re looking to buy the best natural puppy shampoo, it’s important to do your due diligence and pick a good quality product that won’t irritate your pooch’s skin.
Puppies are like human babies, their sensitive skin is still developing. Shampoos with harsh chemicals can dry their skin out or can cause irritable skin conditions.
Here are a few tips to help you find the best bottle online or at your favorite pet store.
Formulated For Puppies
Make sure you look for a pug puppy shampoo that is specifically formulated for younger dogs. Puppy shampoos are designed for sensitive skin and are tear-free.
Meaning you can soap up Fido and if it accidentally gets in his eyes, it won’t burn them.
Correct pH Level
We’ve already talked about the alkalinity in dog’s skin compared to humans, which is why you should avoid using human shampoo on dogs.
Puppies will be more on the alkaline side, so make sure that the pH level is appropriate for puppies.
Avoid Artificial Ingredients
How can you be sure that you’re not exposing your puppy to harmful chemicals and additives? Take the time to read the label and look for any ingredients that are hard to pronounce or just don’t make sense.
Natural Dog Company recommends avoiding the shampoos that contain these ingredients.
- Artificial Colors
- Mea/Cocomide DEA
- Mineral Oil
Most people choose shampoos that smell good over unscented ones. We all want our puppy to smell clean, especially, if they sleep in your bed.
Always choose products that contain natural fragrances such as lavender, chamomile, eucalyptus, and rose. These will make your pup smell better and are much safer than synthetic fragrances.
Your Pugs Overall Health
If your Pug has any skin conditions that require medicated shampoo, you will want to consult with your vet. They will be able to advise which type of shampoo will be best for your pup.
Depending on your pup’s health condition, the vet may recommend a shampoo that will help address skin allergies, pruritus, microbial infections, seborrhea, and parasitic infestations.
What Age Can You Bathe A Pug Puppy?
As long as your Pug puppy is three months old, it should be fine to give them their first bath. It is recommended that you continue bathing them on a regular basis, to help get them used to it.
If your puppy is younger and they have dirt and debris on their body. Instead of giving them a bath, use a damp cloth to remove the dirt.
Final Word On Puppy Shampoo For Pugs
Keeping your Pug puppy clean is a vital part of their health. When the puppy is under the mother’s care their grooming needs are taken care of.
As soon as you bring your furry friend home, they require periodic grooming and bathing sessions to maintain their coat, kill germs, and prevent fleas and ticks.
References And Further Reading
PetMD – Can You Use Human Shampoo On Dogs? Maintain Your Dog’s Skin pH