Pugs are known for being overweight, that’s why I wanted to take a look at some of the best dog food for overweight Pug. This breed is known for gaining weight easily since they are not as active as other dogs.
*This page contains affiliate links to products I recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you
After doing our research we highly recommend the Nutro Wholesome Essentials Weight Management Dog Food, which has a lot of positive reviews online. Scroll down to read my in-depth review below.
Related: What Should You Feed A Pug?
What Is The Best Dog Food to Feed An Overweight Pug?
The best dog food for an obese Pug is the type that is designed specifically for your dog’s activity level. If your dog is NOT active and loves laying around, you’ll want to feed them a weight management dog food.
We changed Mindy’s food to a weight management dog food once we realized that she was gaining weight. You NEVER want to let your Pug get too fat, otherwise, it will cause other health-related issues due to obesity.
Why is it important to manage your Pug’s weight with weight management food?
- Pugs are not as active as other dogs read this article to find out how much exercise they need. They spend most of their time sleeping, which means the wrong type of food can cause them to gain weight easily.
- Weight management food is lower in calories and helps dogs maintain a healthy weight.
- Pugs are known for several different health problems and if they carry excess weight, they can suffer from joint problems, overall health problems, and even cut his/her life expectancy by years.
What Do You Feed An Overweight Pug?
Obee Pugs need to lose their excess weight, and a calorie-restricted diet works very well for this purpose.
If you feed commercial dog food, the best food to buy is the one that is designed specifically for overweight dogs and is designed with less calorie consumption than normal kibble or wet dog food products.
Related: Best Dry Dog Food For Senior Pug
Best Dog Food For Overweight Pug Reviews
I’ve done my best on bringing you the best information regarding weight management dog food. I know how hard it can be to find the right dog food for your Pug.
Especially, since they love eating. We fed Mindy a weight management food for most of her adult life. When she became a senior we found a different type of food.
Purina Pro Weight Management Dry Dog Food
Purina Pro Plan Weight Management Dog Food is designed specifically for adult dogs with weight problems. It is made with a high-quality protein that includes real chicken and provides the nutrition your pooch requires.
Contains dried shredded chicken that Pugs will absolutely love!
- Made with high-quality protein, with real chicken as the first ingredient.
- 25% less fat then SAVOR shredded Blend Chicken & Rice Formula for adult canines.
- Omega-6 fatty acid, Vitamin A and linoleic acid will help your Pugs coat and skin look and feel healthy.
- Specifically formulated for overweight and less active dogs.
- 100% complete and balanced nutrition to ensure your dog receives important vitamins and minerals required for healthy growth.
- Probiotics to help support a healthy digestive system.
- Calories: 362 kcal/cup
- Some people have complained that their dog still feels hungry after eating. You will want to give your Pug some time to get used to eating this type of food. Read this article if your Pug seems to have an increased appetite for no explanation at all.
You could also give your Pug some treats in between feeding schedules as long as they are healthy treats.
Some people have found that supplementing their dog’s diet with watermelon, carrots, melon, and other low-calorie fruits and vegetables can help make your Pug feel full without going overboard on their calorie intake for the day.
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food for Weight Management
Hills Science Diet Weight Management Dog Food for Small and Mini Breeds is veterinary approved to help dogs lose and manage weight while maintaining lean muscle mass.
Recommended for dogs that have been neutered, less active or the breeds that are prone to weight gain. NOT recommended for puppies, pregnant or nursing dogs.
Weight Loss: Some pet owners have seen visible weight loss in their pets in just 10 weeks.
Weight Maintenance: Even if your dog doesn’t need to lose weight, this dog food will help them maintain a healthy weight.
Enriched with: High protein, high fiber enriched with L-carnitine and coconut oil to help support Fido’s metabolism.
Calories: 3208 kcal/kg (291 kcal/cup)
- Some dogs with sensitive stomach issues may have a hard time eating some of the different versions. the Mediterian Diet version by Hill’s has been harder on some does with tummy issues.
Again some people say that their dog was still hungry after eating.
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Adult Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula is a high-quality dog food designed for overweight dogs. It is a weight management dog food that contains fewer fat calories, which is healthier for your pooch. Find out everything you need to know and if Blue Buffalo is good for Pugs.
Designed with the real meat first principle, which means that this food is made with the finest natural ingredients. It is enhanced with important vitamins and minerals that are necessary for your pooch.
Blue Buffalo dog food DOES NOT contain any chicken or poultry by-product meals, soy, wheat, corn, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- LifeSource Bits: This is a blend of vitamins, minerals and antioxidant-rich kibbles for your pup.
- DHA Ingredients: Chondroitin helps support Fido’s joint and mobility, cognitive development, glucosamine in large breed dogs and senior dogs.
- Delicious Flavors: You’re sure to find one that your Pug loves as you can buy Santa Fe Chicken, Texas BBQ beef, Nantucket seafood, or Colorado lamb.
- Premium Quality Dog Food: Made with real meat, vegetables, and fruit.
- Affordable Pricing: You won’t have to worry about paying a huge amount for a 30lb bag of dog food. Just make sure you put it in an airtight container because it will take about 2 months for your Pug to eat it.
- Calories: 323 Kcal/cup
- Blue Buffalo has had a recall on some foods on various occasions throughout the years. Their most recent recall was in 2017, and it only affects dog foods with beef meat formulas. (source)
Pet food recalls are inevitable and will happen pretty much with any brand. It’s important to make sure you do your due diligence before buying any type of dog food for your dog or cat!
Nutro Natural Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food
Nutro Natural Weight Management for Adult Dogs is made with Non-GMO ingredients and contains wholesome essentials for your pooch.
Related: Is Nutro Good For Pugs?
Designed with no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives. According to Nutro *Trace amounts of genetically modified material may be present in the food due to cross-contact during the manufacturing process.
- Tailor Blend: Of fiber and protein to support healthy weight loss.
- Chicken-Farm: Raised chicken in the number one ingredient and helps support muscle growth.
- Healthy Immune System: Contains essential antioxidants such as Vitamin E.
- Fiber: Contains natural fiber to help support a healthy digestive system.
- Non-GMO: Contains no artificial flavors, preservatives or colors.
- Kibble: Small bite-size kibbles dogs will love.
- Calorie Content: 252 Kcal/cup
- Some people have said that it can have a reaction with dogs with sensitive stomachs. It caused their pooch to have diarrhea and vomiting.
If you’re NOT sure if your Pug suffers from sensitive stomach issues, I highly recommend seeking advice from your veterinarian before switching their dog food brand.
Benefits of Weight Management Dog Food?
More than 50 percent of America’s dogs are overweight. Just like in humans, a pooch that is overweight can develop all kinds of health issues such as arthritis, breathing problems, diabetes, heart disease, and even bladder cancer.
This is one of the easiest ways to control your Pug’s weight. These types of foods contain more fiber and are supposed to make your dog feel fuller sooner, so they consume fewer calories.
Of course, feeding them a weight management food DOES NOT mean you can cut out daily exercise.
Is My Pug Overweight?
The best way to tell if your Pug is overweight is to compare the weight of your dog with the breed’s standard. It’s easy to find out how much a Pug should weigh, in fact, I’ve written an article to help you see what a normal healthy weight is for your Pug.
Even if your dog is NOT overweight now, they could still show signs that they are headed towards a serious weight issue.
It’s NOT normal for a Pug to be fat and pudgy!
The Importance of Nutrition
The food your dog eats will play an important role in their overall health and well-being. As a pet owner, it’s important to provide them with balanced nutrition and an active lifestyle.
Avoid letting your dog eat too much dog food, snacks or people food, as this can lead to your Pug to becoming overweight.
If you’re still unsure of whether or not your Pug is overweight, always consult with your veterinarian and ask them to recommend the best food for your Pug’s weight management.
References and Further Reading
Pets WebMD – Why Is My Dog Gaining Weight
iHeartDogs – The Dangers of Obesity In Dogs