Pugs make great pets, and there’s no better time than now to start crate training them so they don’t make a mess in your home. It’s a proven fact that kennel training your Pug not only teaches your dog manners, but it is their own private space where dogs will feel a sense of security.
What Is The Best Dog Crate For A Pug?
The best dog crate is one that is well-ventilated, spacious enough for them to move, and portable if you plan on taking it with you in your SUV.
This is going to be their own little cave-like dwelling. You’ll want to ensure it has enough room for their dog bed and one or two of their favorite toys.
*This page contains affiliate links to products I recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you
Top Recommended Crates
The PetNation Indoor/Outdoor pet home that is easy to set up, and takedown. Conveniently store when not in use.
What Size Crate Should I Get For My Pug?
In a perfect work, you would buy a different size crate as your puppy grows. However, most people won’t have the money to do that as puppies grow pretty fast during the first year.
If you’re buying a dog crate for a small Pug puppy, make sure you don’t spend too much. You can opt for a more expensive, stylish crate once she reaches her full-grown adult size.
I’ve put together some create sizes for small breed dogs like the Pug.
Dog Crate Training Chart for Small Breeds
A small Pug puppy that weighs between 1-10 lbs and ranging from 6″-12 inches will be fine with an 18″ – 22″ inch dog crate. This is the perfect size crate for small toy breeds.
A 24-inch dog crate works best for small dog breeds that weigh between 11-25 pounds and range in height from 13″ – 17″ inches.
Different Types Of Dog Crates
With so many different types of dog kennels on the market, it can be challenging to know which one is right of your pug. I’ve put together a quick synopsis of the different types of dog crates you’ll find both online and offline at your local pet stores.
Plastic Portable Crates
Plastic portable dog crates work best for small to medium-sized dogs. These crates are made entirely of thick plastic, with a front-facing swinging door. The plastic design makes it easy to clean up messes and make it difficult for your pooch to escape.
Plastic crates are great for air travel as most airlines require plastic crates that will fit comfortably under the cabin seat in front of you.
Wire or metal crates are great for dogs that like to see their surroundings and require a little extra air-flow. These types of crates are noisier than the other types of crates, however, the removable solid floors make it extremely easy to clean.
Some have removable panels that make it easy to use while your puppy grows into space. If it doesn’t have one, make sure you block off one end with a piece of a cardboard box. (that’s what we did with Mindy when she was a puppy)
Most are collapsible or fold easily for easy transport.
Soft-Sided Dog Crates
These dog kennels are not for dogs that love to chew or dig, as they are usually made of nylon or canvas. They are not the best choice if your dog is an escape artist, but can work if you are looking for providing safety and security for your four-legged friend.
Soft-sided crates are extremely lightweight and portable, which make them perfect for car travel, camping, picnics and etc. When not in use, they are foldable for easy storage.
Heavy Duty Dog Crates
Heavy-duty crates work best for the most clever and destructive dogs. These are more expensive than the other types of crates but are designed to keep the best escape artists from escaping.
While these are not as portable as some of the other types, some are designed to be airline travel approved.
Furniture Style Crates aka Fashion Crates
Fashion crates have become extremely popular because they can double as a side table, corner credenza, or other pieces of furniture that works in your home. Most are designed from wood or a rattan finish which make them look expensive and functional in your home.
These crates work best for dogs that are well-behaved that don’t chew or dig. The wood-based construction makes it easy for them to be damaged easily. The wood flooring can be easily damaged if your Pug has an accident during the night.
These crates are designed for bigger dogs or can be left in your car or truck. Most Pugs will be fine wearing a seatbelt in the back seat to keep them secure.
However, a crate is perfect if you don’t have a lot of space in the car and want to offer your dog more space.
Soft Crate vs Wire Crate What’s The Difference?
As I mentioned above, soft-sided crates are made of soft fabric like nylon or canvas. These can work for a small toy breed like a Pug, but don’t expect it to be extremely durable like the wire dog kennels.
Plastic vs Wire Dog Crates
Regardless of whether you opt for a plastic or wire kennel, you need to ensure that it’s not too small or too big for your pup. If it’s too big, your dog will go to one end and soil.
Wire Crates Advantages
- These are well-ventilated so you won’t have to worry about your Pug having trouble breathing. The open-air construction allows your dog to see their surroundings, which is perfect for Pugs since they love being around their owners.
- Many wire crates will fold flat when not in use which makes it easy to store in your closet or under the bed.
- Removable floor tray makes it easy to clean up any messes.
- Some come with a divider that makes it easy to adjust the size of your crate as your puppy grows.
Wire Crates Disadvantages
- Your pup stands on hard removable flooring, which can make it loud when they are walking around. A crate liner will help eliminate the noise and give your pooch something soft to stand and lay on.
- Wire crates are not as portable as the plastic types, which can make them hard to transport or move from room to room.
Advantages of Plastic Crates
- Great for dogs that like small cozy places.
- These are extremely portable and can be used for airline travel. Just make sure you buy one that specifically says it is airline approved.
- Can be bought in different colors such as; brown, teal, and even pink puppy crates. This means you can buy a cute puppy crate in your favorite color.
- On most plastic crates, the top half of crate comes off so it can be stacked in the bottom half for easy storage.
Disadvantages of Plastic Crates
- Air circulation is not as good as the wire crates, so your Pug may have trouble breathing.
- Your dog won’t be able to see what’s going on around them, so they may not like being inside the crate.
- Hard to clean if your dog has a tragic diarrhea accident.
5 Of The Best Crates For Pugs
I’ve done my best to bring you some of the best dog crates for Pugs. These crates offer tons of functionality, support, and security without having to break the bank.
#1 Midwest Double Door Folding Metal Dog Crate
The Midwest Double Door dog crate is perfect for small dog breeds like the Pug. It is a double-door kennel that is designed with your dog’s safety, comfort, and security in mind.
There are two doors, one on the side and one in the front, which gives your Pug easy access into their crate.
Small Dogs: Suitable for small dog breeds.
Heavy Duty: Designed with a heavy gauge steel and the tight wire mesh help keep your pooch safe and secure inside.
Easy Assembly: Can be set up in seconds without using any tools.
Storage: Folds flatly when not in use for travel or easy storage.
Divider Panel: Your dog can grow into this kennel as the divider blocks off the part your dog isn’t ready for yet.
Bolt Latch: Both doors have a heavy-duty slide bolt latch to keep your dog safe inside.
Rounded Corners: Keep both you and your dog from getting cut on the sharp points that are found on other crates.
Carrying Handle: Makes it easy to carry when it is folded up ready to store or for traveling.
- Small Puppies: Some people have complained that their puppy was able to stick his head through the grates at top and got stuck. They had a hyper puppy that loved jumping, as long as your Pug puppy doesn’t jump, they should be fine.
- Carrying handle
- Divider Panel
- Leak-Proof Pan
- Floor Protecting Roller Feet
#2 Firsttrax Petnation Indoor and Outdoor Crate
The Firsttrax Pet Home is designed for easy set-up and breakdown, which means that it’s great for short outdoor outings. Perfect for people who love taking their Pug everywhere they go.
Comes with two doors (top and front) roll up and stay open with secure fastening straps to give your dog more airflow and better visibility.
- Security: zippers and door latches are designed with industrial strength zippers.
- Portable: extremely lightweight which makes it easy to transport.
- No Assembly Required: Sets up in minutes without using any tools.
- Water Resistant Material: makes it easy to clean up any messes.
- Machine Washable: The cover can be thrown in the washer machine.
- Frame: The extra strong steel frame will keep your Pug safe.
- Different Sizes: is available in a range of different sizes for different dog breeds.
- Tearing: Not designed for dogs that bite or chew as they can tear a hole in the fabric cover. The great thing is that you can buy a replacement cover, instead of having to buy the whole crate again.
The PetNation Indoor/Outdoor pet home that is easy to set up, and takedown. Conveniently store when not in use.
#3 Merry Products 2 in 1 Dog/Cat Crate and Gate
This Merry Product dog/cat product is designed to be multifunctional in your home. It is designed from a beautiful wood that not only acts as a pet crate but can be converted into a doggie gate.
Great for small living spaces as this convertible dog crate functions as an accent piece of furniture that people will admire. It can easily be disguised from a dog crate to a beautiful piece of furniture.
- Multi-functional: Acts as a kennel, adjustable gate, and as an accent piece of furniture.
- Convertible Gate: 4 access panels that will keep your pooch out of any room.
- Kennel: Will keep your pooch secure and offer a great resting space of their own.
- Easy Assembly: No tools required and converts easily with hinged pins.
- Dogs: Not designed for dogs that are not housebroken or tend to chew and bite.
- Plastic Tray
- 4 Panels
- Solid Wood Veneer Top
The Stylish Merry Products Dog Crate makes it easy to configure from dog crate to a great looking coffee table.
#4 Petmate Sky Kennel for Dogs
This heavy-duty plastic shell dog crate is perfect for flying with your pooch. The crate meets most airline requirements and provides extra security for your pooch with a 4-way vault door, 360-degree airflow ventilation, and durable wire vents.
- Durability: Constructed of a tough plastic shell, extra strong wire door, interlocking latches to keep your Pug safe.
- Airflow and Ventilation: Designed with 360-degree wire ventilation windows to allow your pet to breathe easily.
- Travel: Safe for pet travel and meets most airline pet carrier standards, without having to make any modifications.
- Functionality: Can be used for both cats and dogs.
- Size: Some people have said that the usable space is smaller than they thought it would be.
- ID Stickers
- “Live Animal” Stickers (2)
- Clip-On Bowls
#5 Precision Pet Crate With Double Doors
The Precision Pet dog crate keeps pets safe with the 5-point precision lock system for added protection When not in use, the crate collapses down to about 2 inches tall for easy storage and transport.
The two separate doors allow your dog to have multiple entrance options.
- Collapsible: When not in use, the crate collapses to about 2 inches. The carrying handle makes it easy to carry while traveling.
- Multiple Doors: Provides your pet with easy access from multiple locations throughout your home.
- Great For Puppies: The adjustable divider makes it easy for your pet to grow into the kennel space.
- Locking System: Patented 5- point precision lock system will secure the kennel doors at both the top and bottom.
- Construction: Composed of a heavy gauge wire that is coated with a rust-resistant black finish.
- Sizes: Comes in several sizes from extra small to extra large for all dog breeds.
- Rounded Corners: Keeps your pooch safe from scratches and getting their collar snagged.
- Cleaning: The removable pan makes it easy for cleaning up spills or accidents.
- Paws: Some people complained that their small Yorkie dog got their paws stuck by the lower door threshold. You may want to get a crate liner to keep your Pugs paws safe.
- Adjustable Dog Crate Divider
PetMate offers your Pug a safe "den" to sleep, while you're away from home or at night when..
Dog Crate Accessories
Now that you’ve picked the right crate for your Pug, there are some other things you may want to consider to make the kennel experience better for your pooch. After all, she will be sleeping it at night and some time throughout the day.
- A crate bed or liner will help keep your pet more comfortable, otherwise, they will have to stand and lay on the hard surface.
- The SmartPetLove Puppy Behavioral Aid Toy With Heartbeat is the perfect training companion for puppies that are not used to being in a kennel.
- Using a crate cover can help you disguise the crate or make it look more fashionable when guests come over.
Related Questions for Dog Crates for Pugs
What Size Crate For Two Small Pugs?
If you have two puppies, you should consider getting two crates so each dog has its own one. It’s a good idea to place their crates in the same room, so they can keep each other company.
When two dogs share a crate, they can feel trapped or crowded.
How Much Does A Dog Crate Cost?
Dog crates will vary in size from $30 – $300 or more, depending on the brand, features, and where you buy it. When shopping for a crate, look for an adjustable dog crate with a divider that way your Pug can grow into it.
Final Word On Buying A Dog Crate For Pugs
As you can see, there are literally several types of dog crates you can purchase for your new Pug puppy or adult dog. I’ve done my best to bring you the most practical and affordable crates for people with a budget.
Having a crate is an excellent way to keep your Pug safe and a great tool for training your Pug on how to behave indoors. Be sure to check out these doggie doors for Pugs that will make it easy to leat them in and out of the house.