Are Pugs good for first time dog owners? This is a question that has most likely crossed your mind if you’ve thought about getting a new family pet. Today, we’re going to take a look at several dog breeds that may or may not be the right fit, as well as several things you should know before getting a Pug.
Are Pugs Good For First Time Dog Owners
The short answer is it depends on what you’re looking for in a pet. Pugs are excellent dogs, but these toy dogs are NOT for everyone. The breed motto is “multum in parvo” meaning a great deal in a compact space, or a lot of dog in a small size.
The Pug temperament is one of stubbornness and will require an owner with patience and understanding. That being said, they are extremely loyal and are bred to please their owners.
We’ll get into why I think the Pug makes a great pet for new dog owners. First, let’s take a look at some of your other canine options. The American Kennel Club (AKC) recognizes 211 dog breeds and the Fédération Cynologique Internationale currently recognizes 344 dog breeds.
Best Dogs for First Time Owners
With hundreds of dog breeds out there, these made the list for some of the best dog breeds for beginners. Each dog breed is different and come in different sizes, energy levels, as well as grooming requirements.
After doing some research online, we rounded up a list of the 10 most popular dog breeds and designer mixes that are quite popular for first-time dog owners.
Read this article if you want to know if Pugs need a companion dog.
The dogs that made the list in no particular order of popularity are:
- Pomeranian – Not Terribly high-maintenance
- Shetland Sheepdog -Great agility dog with high energy
- Yorkshire Terrier – Intelligent and playful
- Havanese – Craves company and requires daily brushing
- Maltese – Smart dog bred to be loved
- Pug – Absolute charmer great with dogs, children, and cats
- Puggle – Cross between a Pug and a Beagle (designer dog)
- Shih Tzu – Lapdog that requires regular grooming
- Papillon – High energy dog with lots of intelligence
- Boston Terrier – Loves his human family
You can’t go wrong with any of these dogs on this list. The most important thing to consider is your lifestyle and the personality of the dog you’re considering.
Worst Dogs for First Time Owners
Not every dog is going to be a great match for beginners. These dogs made the list as the most unfavorable dogs for beginners. This list comes from VetStreets list of the worst dog breeds after asking more than 200 veterinary professionals.
The worst dogs for new pet owners in no particular order:
- Airedale Terrier – Very challenging and independent
- Bullmastiff – Weighs 100-130 pounds and can be difficult to handle
- Bulldog – Brachycephalic breed that is difficult to train
- Siberian Husky – They require a lot of exercise and can get into mischief quickly
- St. Bernard – Prone to heatstroke and is a large animal that drools a lot
- German Shephard – Requires a lot of training, exercise, and dedication
- Australian Cattle Dog – Has a reputation for being stubborn with excessive energy
- Dalmatian – Becomes destructive when bored
- Weimaraner – Extremely energetic and prone to separation anxiety
- Rottweiler – Can be a scary dog with the wrong owner
These dogs will do great for more experienced owners who have had some canine training. They have different temperaments which can be challenging for beginners.
Large Dog Breeds for First Time Owners
Maybe you’re looking for a dog that you can take hiking, running or long distance walks. If so, you may want to consider a larger dog that is more built more towards athleticism. This list was acquired by VetStreet after surveying more than 218 veterinary professionals and vet technicians.
These large dogs made the list for the large dog breeds for first time owners:
- Collie – Eager to please and devoted to the whole family
- Boxer – Patient and playful perfect as a family dog
- Poodle – Canine with beauty, brains, and sense of humor
- Labrador Retriever – Playful and lively as puppies (they love tennis balls)
- Golden Retriever – People pleasing personality gets along with anyone
If you do choose a large breed canine, it’s important to make sure you have plenty of living space. they require more space than a small dog like a Pug.
Are Poodles Good for First Time Dog Owners?
According to our research, the Miniature or Toy Poodle was the first pick for best small dogs for new owners. The Standard Poodle ranked 3rd as the best large dog breeds for novice pet owners.
They are extremely smart, which makes them easy to train. The downside is that they will require regular grooming. However, all dogs regardless of the breed will require some amount of grooming.
Worst Behaved Dog Breeds
These dogs are the least obedient dogs and can make it challenging to train, especially, for a novice. They will require a lot more patience and obedience training than other breeds.
List of worst behaved dog breeds in no particular order:
- Afghan Hound – Bred to chase prey and constantly looking for prey
- Chow Chow – Have a personality like a cat
- Basenji – Cat like personality and bred to be independent hunters
- Bloodhound – Can be rather disobedient without the proper training
- Pekingese – have an attitude problem and make you believe you are their slave
- Dachshund – Notoriously difficult to train and housebreak
- Welsh Terrier – Think for themselves and don’t like listening to commands
- Borzio – Independent attitude
- Beagle – Constantly in pursuit of small game
These dogs will make you question why you wanted a dog in the first place.
Finding The Best Pet for First Time Owner
Getting a dog for the family is a big decision. Regardless of what type of dog you choose, it’s not a decision that should be taken lightly.
As a responsible pet owner, you will be required to care for the pet for 10-16 years, depending on the dog’s life expectancy.
That’s why I wanted to share some of the things that made me decide on getting pug as my first pet.
First Time Dog Owner Guide Why The Pug Made The List
I had never had a dog before so I wanted one that wouldn’t overpower me or bite me. If you plan on walking your dog, you want one that won’t overpower you and walks well on a dog harness.
I knew that the Pug could be stubborn and it would take patience to train. However, if you start training them as a puppy, they pick up on commands fairly quick. Just make sure that you have some treats nearby.
Pug Dog Price
This breed is expensive and can cost anywhere from $350 to about $2,000 depending on where you purchase the dog. You can expect to pay on the upward range of the price scale if you opt for a well-bred Pug that is destined to become a show champion.
After living with a Pug for 16 years, you can read this article to see what the life expectancy of a Pug is, I can tell you they are extremely loyal and loveable. They usually bond with one person and that becomes their person.
They will follow you around everywhere, in the house. This breed gets along great with children, cats, and dogs, which makes them great family pets. You can read this article for an in-depth review about Pug Facts you may not be aware of.
More Articles Related to Do Pugs Make Great Pets
Which dog is best for first time owners? The answer to this question depends on the type of lifestyle you live, as well as your residence. You want to find a dog that fits into your lifestyle.
Are Pugs Easy to Train? It’s best if you start while they are young pups. They are eager to please, but are strong-willed. If they become bored, you will have a difficult time getting them to listen to you. Consistency is a must with this breed.
Is Boxer Good For First Time Dog Owner? The Boxer is patient, playful and quickly becomes a devoted member of the family. This breed does require a fair amount of exercise and you’ll need to ensure they have plenty of space. As long as he’s spending time with the family, they are happy.
References and Further Reading
VetStreet – Veterinary Professionals Vote on the Bet Dogs for New Owners
I Heart Dogs – The 1- Least Obedient Dog Breeds